wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

I am majorly confused on whether I have Epilepsy or some

Customer Question

I am majorly confused on whether I have Epilepsy or some form of Black outs.
I have had four of these events happen now over the past 12 months with the most recent happening this morning.
These seizures / black outs ALWAYS seem to happen when I'm eating. I'm just eating normally when all of a sudden , the right side of my mouth starts to numb and seize. I then loose all ability to open my mouth and I start to groan. I have no way of breathing and I pass out for about two minutes. I then awake to vomit everywhere.
The paramedics are called and when they arrive they're pretty convinced that I didn't have a seizure as their was No jerking , No soiling of myself and No biting of my tongue. They also told me that with seizures you usually get some kind of aura beforehand and not a rapid onset of problems like mine.
Could it be then that I suffer with Black outs rather then Epilepsy.
Thank you for reading and I look forward to your reply.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is***** have over two decades of experience, and I'm online and available to help you today.

We can also chat by hone and skype.

Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 month ago.

What testing have you had?

What do the people who have witnessed these episodes say about how you look/act during these times?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Dr RickI had an EEG which was fine and my initial MRI scan showed a shrunken pituitary gland. I did have a second scan with contrast but I'm still currently awaiting the results. I suffer with very bad heartburn and take a lot of liquid / tablet based relief
Only one seizure was actually witnessed by my mum when we where eating together. The only thing she remembers is when I made a high pitch groan. She thought I was laughing. Finally , there was one last other thing , it only just came to me now actually. Last night just before the groan I remember a being sick sensation ( Gagging )Thanks for reading
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 month ago.

thank you for that additional information.

It sounds like you have spent quite some time trying to get to the bottom of what is going on. I am sure that your previous doctors have thought of, and ruled out, all of the common and easily treatable conditions that could be causing your issues. Would you say this is a correct statement?

Well I think it might be time for you to take a very difficult, and bold, step to see if you can get some relief.

At this point I think the best thing for you to do would be to gather up copies of all your medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

In the USA the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the UK and I am sure that there is one near you.

I know that it is going to take significant effort on your part, but I believe that going to one of the "Medical Mecca's" is your best chance to – finally -- get to the bottom of what is going on.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned the top rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What are the common conditions that cause this sort of thing ?
My doctors have not suggested much to be honest !
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 month ago.

A laundry list of possible diagnosis is not going to be of much more value than stone-cold guessing.

See the Professors at University and you will know what the issues are.

Make sense?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That is no help whatsoever.