Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery, 5 years experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

My son was born after a labour with Emegrency C section with

Good evening,
My son was born after a long labour with Emegrency C section with a swelling on the left side of his head. After few days of monitoring they discharged us from the hospital saying it will go down within 2 months. 10 days later we went to a different hospital with a question why is theswelling got bigger. They’ve done a CT scan and found that the scull is fractured and there is a thin line of blood between the scull and brain.
My son is still in the hospital apparently he is not showing any abnormal sign and doesn’t need surgery.
Would this injury effect him later on in his life?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 month ago.

Can you tell me where exactly on the skull the fracture is? Do you have an x ray or a CT scan report you can share with me?

Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Good evening I don’t have the CT scan unfortunately. I’m going to try to describe where the swelling is. It’s on his right side where close to his ear. It’s approximate 7 cm. From the CT scan it looks like blood is under the scull in a quite thin line. Doesn’t seem to take too much space.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 month ago.

Alright, in children a streak of blood under the skull after a hard labor or delivery is not uncommon, the main thing is to look at the brain parenchyma, if there is no injury to the brain then a skull fracture and a little fluid under between the skull and the dura is not a problem that should affect him later on his life.

The area you mention, is the thinnest area of the skull bone so, fractures are quite frequently seen in this area in infants after a hard delivery.

Hope this helps.
Please do not forget to leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Best wishes.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your quick response. What do you mean by brain parenchyma?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 month ago.

Brain substance.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you. As it’s unclear when the injury happend. I would like to know if from the CT scan it’s possible to find out whether it’s happened during the labour or C section.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 month ago.

Unfortunately, that is not possible with the CT scan.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Dr Uzair can you tell me from your experience how long it take to an injury like this to heel and if there is any treatment it could help during or after.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 month ago.

I doubt that there is anything further treatment wise, that he will require, just observation will be okay.

Usually skull fractures in neonates and infants are quick to heal due to the rich vascular supply of the skull bone and the head and neck area in general. It should not take more than 6 weeks to heal completely.

Take good care.