Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

My dad has been having ongoing tests for a neurological

Customer Question

My dad has been having ongoing tests for a neurological disease. He had low dopamine levels & reduced nerve sensation after an EMG test. This has been ongoing for over 1year now. He is now in ICU , he is ventilated at the moment but they are saying he cant breathe without the tube as the carbon monoxide levels start to rise due to not breathing properly. On Saturday we were called to the relatives room & told it looked like he had MND , they would be taking the tube out & let him pass away naturally. Bearing in mind my dad could still talk, walk , eat & dress himself. Then on Monday they decided he didn't have MND & will keep testing him. But now he is back on the breathing tube I fee like we are back to square one. As his chest muscles aren't strong enough for him to breathe unaided. I just feel they want rid of him. It feels a bit inhumane letting him die when he can do so much.His symptoms are , difficulty swallowing, slurred speech , shallow breathing & slower at walking.I asked about a tracheostomy but they just shot me down & said no it wouldn't be suitable. The neurologists looking after him thinks it may be a form of Parkinsons. I would of thought they could at least try some medication to see if he responds. What has he got to lose.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 months ago.

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok thank you

I am sorry he is in the ICU

there are medications for parkinsons like Sinemet (levodopa/carbidopa) which can help

and pramipexol which can help with parkinsons disease.

if they think it is parkinsons, they should try some parkinsons medications and see if he gets better. parkinsons patients often get better with medications.

1 year is a long time. has he had a brain MRI scan with IV contrast? what did that show? I would get the results of his brain scan. I would be happy to look at them for you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Well that is my thoughts as well , it just seems a bit brutal that they want to take his tube out & let him die. After telling us last Saturday they were going to do this they also told my dad. So he lay there in bed all weekend knowing that he may die on Monday. He couldn't have an MRI as he has a piece of metal under his eye which they cant remove. To me it feels like that ICU just want the bed & want rid of him.

what about a brain CT scan with IV contrast and CT angiogram to check the blood vessels of his brain

his symptoms sound more like he may have had a stroke at some point injuring the central part of his brain.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi , yes he had a small stroke around 2 years & with his slurred speech & his balance getting bad we thought he had had another one. That's when we told him he needed to go to the doctors & then all these tests for neurological diseases started going on. I just feel he has missed out on medication to help because it has taken so long. Do people with Parkinson's go down hill that quickly. I am worried that if he cant manage without the ventilator to breathe they are just going to let him die. If he started medication just now would it help him? I know it is difficult for you to answer when he is not your patient but I just feel the doctors etc are moving so slow. They took blood from him for another test but the results are going to take 2 weeks

patients with stroke with lack of blood flow to the brain injury can often decline very quickly.

if it was just a neurological disease like parkinsons, this can be treated.

he can try parkinsons medications, but I bet it will not help him.

it sounds like his prior strokes have injured parts of his brain which help control breathing.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok I suppose we will just have to wait & see what his neurologist says. I think they have a Parkinson's specialist coming to see him hopefully today as well. Thank you for your help

you are welcome

best of luck to you and him

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com