KarayanMD
KarayanMD, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified Neurologist with Subspecialty in Clinical Neurophysiology. Private Practice.
22767285

Been having twitches in my mouth, nose and head had it for a

Customer Question

Been having facial twitches in my mouth, nose and head had it for a while now
Category: Neurology
Expert:  KarayanMD replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thanks for your question. I am a board certified neurologist in the U.S. I will be happy to help.

Do these facial twitches occur daily? Are there any triggers for them? Do you suffer from high stress, poor sleep, or consume much caffeine? Any other symptoms when you get the facial twitches? These questions will help me provide you a better answer. Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi yes they happen on a daily basis no triggers for them happen all the time i try to control them but its hard i I drink caffeine but not a lot I do suffer with stress but when I'm not stressed I still get it sometimes struggle to sleep no other symptoms had this for a few years now

OK. Thanks for those responses.

Twitching of any muscle can occur and not necessarily be a dangerous symptom. Twitching of muscles can sometimes be triggered by caffeine consumption or poor sleep, and this in particular can affect small muscles such as those of the eyelid. In a case where one is having troublesome twitching, I certainly would suggest taking a week or 2 off of caffeine consumption, to see if that makes any difference. Even if it isn't a cause for the twitching, it could be making it worse. The same goes for poor sleep. You could consider checking with your primary doctor about how to establish good sleep habits, and/or be evaluated for your insomnia to try to improve this issue, since sleep difficulty can also possibly make twitching worse.

Otherwise, there are a long list of conditions that can cause abnormal muscle movements, which can include seizures, metabolic problems such as liver, thyroid, or kidney disease, and other conditions such as Tourette's disease (which normally produce tics rather than twitches, but they can often be confused for each other).
I would suggest that you consider seeing a neurologist if these twitches are not getting better and are bothering you. A neurologist would likely test you for certain medical conditions with blood work, would consider the need for brainwave testing (called EEG) to evaluate for seizure disorders, and would determine if you need any brain imaging for these symptoms. Of course, once the cause is determined, then appropriate treatment can be considered.

I hope this has been useful information for you. Please let me know if there are other questions. If this has been helpful, please rate me highly. Bonuses are appreciated. Best wishes!