Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I have diabetes 2. For the past few years I have suffered from

Customer Question

I have diabetes 2. For the past few years I have suffered from bitterly cold hands and feet--particularly on my left hand side. I believe I have peripheral neuropathy but none of the doctors in our surgery pay any real attention to my view nor offer any advice/medication which might ameliorate the pain. I sit at night with 2 pairs of gloves on and my feet in a heated "muffin". I am 83 years of age and this is very distressing.
Category: Neuropathy
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
This is Dr. David

it does sound like you could very well have neuropathy of your fingers.

it sounds like you need to see a neurologist or an endocrinology specialist who treats a lot of patients with diabetes.

and try some neuropathy medications like neurontin or lyrica and see if this helps your bitterly cold hands and feet.

if these medications don't help, you might need testing to check for things like raynaulds syndrome or vasculitis or peripheral vascular disaese and poor circulation which could be causing your cold hands and feet.

do you have a doctor you can see about getting a prescription for neurontin which is a good medication to help treat peripheral neuropathy of diabetes?