Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I have extreme neurapthic/nerve pain in both me feet and

Customer Question

Hi. I have extreme neurapthic/nerve pain in both me feet and have been long standing for three years. I am on gabapentin, long release morphine and dulexotine for the pain. I have a referral to see a neurologist. What are my treatment options for the pain. Iam suffering from depression and have fleeting suidicial tjoughts when the pain is at its worse, and is impacting all parts of my life, sleep, function, mood, social life and sexual life due to medication. What are my treatment options? Surgery as a treatment. Thanks. Adam
Category: Neuropathy
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello Adam,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for contacting Justanswer. What medications have you tried till date? Which were beneficial? Which investigations were done?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear Dr Ravoof,

To date I have tried Amitrpitylline, Nortritrityline, tramadol, codeine. No real relief obtained.

I have suspected small fibre neurapathy and awaiting an emg test and results of blood tests. Depending on the outcome I may be having steriod injection for the nerves.

Also i could have problems with my muscles/tissues in me feet and experience extremebpain when walking.

Adam

Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

A detailed history with neurological examination along with the results of investigations such as imaging studies and electrodiagnostic studies will help your doctor to find out the cause for your symptoms. The treatment of the cause is the best treatment and this may be surgical treatment.

You have tried many medications which are used for symptomatic relief. Other medications which your doctor may try are carbamazepine, phenytoin, or venlafaxine. These may be beneficial. Sometimes to treat the cause your doctor may also use steroids. Surgery is done to relieve the pressure on nerves.

Take care.