DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Neuropathy Expert
55099014

I had an accident at work in 2008 and ended up with a

Hi, I had an accident at work in 2008 and ended up with a slipped disc, hernia and a torn aductor muscle. these pretty much repaired over time except the slipped disc I've had problems with bad sciatica and back problems ever since. I have now been off work for nearly 3 months and was due for a microdiscectomy last Saturday however after waiting to go down to surgery the hospital cancelled for the second time and I'm worried because the surgeon explained that this procedure will only alleviate the sciatica symptoms not the back problems. L4 is the problem but the 3 discs above and 1 below is protruding I have a heavy manual job on a gas terminal and worry if I will be able to get back to my old job without causing more damage and would appreciate any advice anyone can give.
Category: Neuropathy
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any other medical issues?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I'm diabetic and apparently I have Angina but, I've never had chest pains of angina
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
OK thank youAre you wondering if you should do surgery or not?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I will be undergoing surgery I just wondered if it would be safe to go back to a heavy manual labour job without risking more damage
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
I highly doubt that.It sounds like your days of heavy lifting are done
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your straight answer