Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  New Zealand qualified lawyer with 37 years of experience.
32702153

My grandparents lived in new Zealand for 20 years back in

Customer Question

Hi my grandparents lived in new Zealand for 20 years back in 1955 my father was 8 months when he moved there and lived, went to school and worked there his sister, My aunty was born there but moved to the UK in 1978 . Would I stand a chance of applying for a New Zealand passport, My grandparents are now both dead. Please advice many thanks Charlotte
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 8 months ago.

The Citizenship Act only permits applications for citizenship in certain categories. The first is being born here to New Zealand citizens, and the second is an application after being a resident for 5 years. There is no citizenship by the descent as you have described. In 1955 British citizens had better rights to stay here then now, and your father would have been able to become a citizen at the time if he had applied. But you would not inherit that right as you were not born here