Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

Hello. I have an 07 reg Nissan Note 1.6 SVE (44k miles), which

Customer Question

Hello. I have an '07 reg Nissan Note 1.6 SVE (44k miles), which I have had for just under 6 months. The many good things about this vehicle are significantly outweighed by the harsh engine noise at speeds between 58 and 73mph, which are intolerable for longer journeys. This engine harshness becomes more prevalent the longer you drive. Two dealers have checked and found no faults. I cannot believe such a modern car should be so raucous and, if I cannot resolve it, the car will have to go. My 16 year old Fiesta is so much quieter at the same speed and revs. Any advice?

Paul Haynes (age 62)
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 4 years ago.

Hi there, Thanks for using justanswer.

Could you explain the noise in a littler more detail for me? Does it sound like a chatter from the top end? is it more of a pinging sound? or is there a squealing?

Let me know so i can further assist you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi there. No nothing like that, just a heavy coarseness at around 3-3,500 rpm which reverberates inside the car. It's like having a blown exhaust, but coming from the front. Most noticeable under throttle, trailing throttle reduces the noise considerably at the same speed. I can drive through it, but need to be doing 75mph + for the noise to be the same is if doing under 58mph. If it was the manifold leaking, would it not be noticeable all the time and would not dealers have picked this up. Also can feel slight vibration through steering wheel and body in tune with the harshness of the engine. Regards

Paul

Expert:  Jake replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the detailed response from my info request. You explained the symptoms very well.

Because the vibration and harshness is only at certain speeds (correlating with engine RPM), we can conclude that it's likely to be related to 1 of 2 things.

First and most likely concern would be in regards XXXXX XXXXX exhaust system. Exhaust notes change as exhaust flow and pressures increase and decrease. Similar to when you try to accelerate in a higher gear and get excessive bogging an vibration. An exhaust leak will only increase noise and vibration. I would assume that at the speeds your experiencing the symptoms your at a relatively low RPM because of transmission gear and vehicle speed. Is that correct?

The second thought and less likely culprit would be Engine or transmission mount problems, but generally these are noticeable at idle and acceleration. Cruising speeds usually don't increase harshness in response to a mount that's failing.

So the first thing I would do is check the exhaust for leaks, including the manifold. Verify the heat shileds are tight as well.

Let me know what other questions you have so I can continue to help you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for this. Visit to exhaust centre this morning and they say, without looking at car, it can't be the exhaust. It's so frustrating. I may just give up and sell the car on. Appreciate your comments. Paul

Expert:  Jake replied 4 years ago.
Your welcome Paul, if you want to upload a video of the noise to YouTube and post the link I would be happy to assist you further.