Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

I have a primastar 09 year with 85,000 miles, I experience

Customer Question

I have a primastar 09 year with 85,000 miles, I experience a slight cut out of power to the engine over a 500 mile journey 3 times once the engine management light blinked on then off. The following morning when I start the engine the stop light is on and the engine management light is flashing, please help.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  indy-tech replied 4 years ago.
Hi .

This is a good question, but a question that one could not positively answer .

Why :

The system in which your car is operated is controlled by a ECM (Car computer)

When something malfunctions the ECM will recorded a code in the memory system so a repair technician can read to see what has malfunction .

The code set in the memory will let you know what part or sensor is causing you this issue ,you will need a code reader or scan tool to check for codes .

Not like in the old days from a malfunction you could positively say what was going on with your car .Now you need a scan tool to check what is malfunctioning due to the complicated system used today.

If you could have the codes read and post them here for me to read then this would make the diagnostics easier for me to help you.

Some like to do there own repairs and buy this tool to get codes , then work from there .

So you have two choices. Buy this OBD II code reader or visit your local repair shop or dealer .if you go for the code reader then check for codes and get back to me and i will
be more than happy to help you with this issue .

Check engine light :

If the light is ON with a running engine and you don't have any driveability issues like misfiring then you are safe to drive until you have time to have the system checked for codes ,if you do then don't wait to long and have this checked out ASAP before you cause more damaged . this is why the check engine light is yellow and NOT red.

Pleas get back to me if needed .

Please rate my help a 3 to 5. " If you are not satisfied please don't rate."
We can continue to work or I can opt out .
For further assistance there is no extra charge after accepting .
If I don't reply soon I will as quick as I can as we may be on different time zones

Rgds Greg