indy-tech, Import tech
Experience:  Import technician

Always starts first time...Yesterday Engine cranking normal

Customer Question

Always starts first time...Yesterday Engine cranking normal but will not fire up. The battery fully charged/all spark plugs show good spark/Half a tank of petrol/fuel flow shows with engine cranking.
Two different ignition keys have been tried. The engine has been jump started from larger 4wheel drive but will cut out when leads disconnected unless revs are maintained above normal/driven gingerly to garage maintaining higher than normal revs. At garage the engine was shut down/ and immediately restarted normally! Car was left for two hours and restarted normally 15 times. Car left for 18hours then will not restart using either of the ignition keys. The battery was totally recharged during the above 18hours but was basically well up before this.
I wonder if the engine immobilizer has somehow locked on intermittently or if there could be possibly a fuel pump problem? Presently the experienced owner of the local garage has done all of the above...but we are both still defeated.
I might be wrong but I think I noticed the ON/Off Air-conditioning switch when operated.... when the engine was running en-route to the garage ...did not show its usual Blue light and the solenoid clicking On/off noise did not occur.
My car is a Nissan Micra Activ Petrol 1348cc Year 2001 Miles 22,000 in immaculate condition and always serviced....But will not start!
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am prepared to wait another 48 hours

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  indy-tech replied 3 years ago.
Hi .

Was the system checked for malfunction codes .

If yes what codes where read.

Post them here if you can .

Regards Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi,01692 536145 John is my garage owner and mechanic. I understand the codes cannot be read as no warning lights are on. The crankshaft sensor was cleaned and the engine then tried to fire but failed to catch and run. I am the 72year old owner. Could you. Please talk to John 01692 536145 he has the car at his garage. I agree to pay your telephone costs his garage is located in smallburgh Norfolk nr12 9nw
Expert:  indy-tech replied 3 years ago.
Hi John

Due to firm rules i can't work with you out side of my job .

Even if there is no check engine light ON when the engine is running there may be a
stored code so best have this checked .

He should scope the cam and crank shaft sensors to see if they are working .

Have him spray start helper down the throttle body to see if the engine starts up should do if you have spark as you said above .

If it does start then the fuel pressure should be checked should have 34psi with the vacuum connected and 43psi with it disconnected .

If you see you have only 25psi this is to low to start .

If you have the correct pressure then check that the injectors are getting the injection pulse.

If not getting injection pulse then check the crank and cam sensors .

Check that the immo light is OUT when the key is in the ignition on the ON position .

What is known to fail on these is the fuel pump relay have him try another relay .

Have the engine compression checked ,and the timing .

She what he finds and if this helps then all is good if not then please get back to me for further information

Please rate my help a 3 to 5. " If you are not satisfied please don't rate."
We can continue to work or I can opt out .
For further assistance there is no extra charge after accepting .
If I don't reply soon I will as quick as I can as we may be on different time zones

Rgds Greg

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Greg, I understand you cannot talk direct to my mechanic.

Tomorrow I will get him to do as you suggest.

I will advise you how we get on.

I wish to stay in touch with you until we get the car running.

I am located in Norwich in the UK..England British Isles,

I guess you might be in the problems for me to wait for your emails...the car presently is not going anyplace!!

Kind regards XXXXX XXXXX

Expert:  indy-tech replied 3 years ago.
Hi John .

No problem , i will keep an eye open for your reply ,

Yes I'm on the US side but originally from Yorkshire ,England .

Kind regards Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Greg, The crankshaft scope showed low output...a secondhand unit is on its way.

I am abroad 28Feb until 24March...I will advise you on my return of any progress or not.

Just answer deducted two lots of £13 on the 20 Feb 2013 from my card...but have today promised to refund one lot.

I am most appreciative of your advice and never fear will give you a top rating when we get her running again..thanks for your patience.If I ever get state side I owe you a few proper GB beers.

Expert:  indy-tech replied 3 years ago.
Hi John .

Thank you look forward to hearing from you .

Nice to have a glass of old tetleys beer .

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Rgds Greg