Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

Red dashboard warning light on. Does it indicate faulty speed

Customer Question

Red dashboard warning light on. Does it indicate faulty speed sensor or line pressure sensor. Micra Sport auto-box
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 4 years ago.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Nissan technicians seem unsure. Repair is expensive £900, and first attempt failed. I am seeking wider views and experience about this common defect. If it is common, why is the answer hard to find?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have replied earlier. There seems to be a problem deciding what the error red light is showing. Either a speed sensor or a line pressure sensor has failed. The remedy proposed is a replacement gearbox at £1000 or a sensor replacement at £300. What is the probable cause of the error signal and does it need a new gearbox?
This is a common problem, I understand, but no one is certain of the cause and possible remedies.
What is the opinion elsewhere, please?

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

My name is MIKE..

What are the fault codes that have been retrieved ?

Rgds, MIKE................................
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have no information. I am the customer who is being presented with a possible big bill.
The sensor that giving the error signal is the auto box. I am told that the sensor can only be replaced by fitting a new gearbox.
Is that true?
I am not a technician. The info I have is that it is a speed sensor or a line pressure sensor. The fundamental question, what is the repair process?