Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

2004 automatic micra starter motor not engaging/working on

Customer Question

2004 automatic micra starter motor not engaging/working on ignition key when in Park, starter works when "hot" wired and engine starts
Category: Nissan
Expert:  indy-tech replied 4 years ago.
Hi .

Have you tried to start the engine with the automatic in N .

Greg
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

does not start in N either

Expert:  indy-tech replied 4 years ago.
Hi Colin.

With a test light check the starter motor S wire for power when you turn the KEY to the start position dowes it light up .

Greg
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

there is no power on the s wire when turning the key, when I provide 12v to the solenoid with a temporary wire the starter works, engine starts then I release the temporary wire, this works every time. the 12v is supplied direct from the battery +. I feel / know that if there were 12v on the s wire when turning the key there would be no problem, its as though a button / switch operated by the gear change when not in park preventing starting, is stuck in, but I dont know where it is located. or the Ignition switch when turning the key is not sending 12v to the solenoid, the Ignition switch works in all other respects.

Expert:  indy-tech replied 4 years ago.
Hi Colin .

Disconnect the PNP on the side of the transmission and then try and start .

Greg
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I could not gain access to the pnp switch and not 100% sure what it looks like so will take car to local garage next week, thank you for your help anyway.

Expert:  indy-tech replied 4 years ago.
Hi Colin .

Okay not easy trying to diagnose a car from a long way away always easier to do directly at the car ,and also with you having little mechanical know how makes it even harder for you.

But please keep me updated to what the problem may be .

Kindest regards Greg