indy-tech
indy-tech, Import tech
Experience:  Import technician
29331485

hi there, i have a 1998 2.8 diesel Patrol in at the moment

hi there, i have a 1998 2.8 diesel Patrol in at the moment and the glow light comes straight back on after start up and stays flashing?? i cant find a diagnostic socket anywhere, have you any ideas?? the glow plugs have been renewd recently and i have 11volts at the rail.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 3 years ago.
Hi, I'm a Moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi , i'm happy to wait another day or 2 but thats all

Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.
Expert:  indy-tech replied 3 years ago.
Hi .

Sorry did not get back to you sooner but your question was overlooked by me sorry.

If you have a flashing glowplug light this is an indication to you you have a malfunction with in the glow plug system ,
Could be anything from glow plugs to engine temp sensor ,you will have to be hooked up to a diagnostic scann tool to see what has malfunctioned .

The DLC is under the drivers side steering wheel , just tucked away from the knee behind the dash .

Need further assistance with this issue then please get back to me .

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for replying Greg, the vehicle has had new glow plugs fitted and i'm thinking there is a problem with one of the glow relays or the solinoid switch near the relays?? I have good voltage to the plugs and they are heating, but they are not heating for long enough. The glow light goes out after about 5 seconds and then starts flashing which obviously stops the plugs from heating for the proper amount of time needed for a smooth start up first thing. If i manually feed the glow rail with 12 volts for say 15 seconds the engine fires straight into life like it should. If you know of these relays playing up or the solonoid then let me know.

Rgds Simon

Expert:  indy-tech replied 3 years ago.

No Simon, i would say you have a problem with the Coolant sensor the one that controls the glow plug time to open or close .relays very rarely to malfunction but still a possibility.

To know would be better and easier to have a scan tool hooked up and the system checked for codes ,this will tell you what has to be done to rectify this issue.

One way to test with out the scan tool . is to disconnect the coolant sensor , this is a two pin sensor at the front of the cylinder head .under the front part of the intercooler ,you will have to remove the intercooler to remove the sensor .which looks like this one .
graphic
one connection is for the temp gauge and the other is for the glow plug system.

Replace this part is not an expensive item , But i do insist you use a Mitsubishi part
as after markets DO NOT work I've tried them all.

Need further assistance then please get back to me .

Please rate my help a 3 to 5. " If you are not satisfied please don't rate."
We can continue to work or I can opt out .
For further assistance there is no extra charge after accepting .
If I don't reply soon I will as quick as I can as we may be on different time zones

Rgds Greg
indy-tech, Import tech
Experience: Import technician