Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  self employed in the motor repair buisness 19years
13210289

hi,my wifes 2002 k11c micra has a very small oil leak.the car

Customer Question

hi,my wifes 2002 k11c micra has a very small oil leak.the car has only done 21k miles.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

Just to clarify - Do you know if this is actually engine oil or transmission oil or Power steering your seeing?

Has there been any previous work carried out?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi,other than regular servicing,the car has had no other work done.i dont know if its engine oil or transmission.the oil drip is on the right side of the engine.thanks

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi.there..

.

Ok..First we do need to establish exactly what oil this is..as you know engine oil will be black looking due to carbon etc..where as transfluid will be much lighter and to the feel coloured oil and not as dirty as your engine oil//power steering will be red in colour too aswell if an automatic gearbox the fluid would be red in colour...As you'll understand it can be prety difficult to say exactly where the oils from without actually seeing it for myself where the best option would be to that yourself and see exactly where the exit point is or seems to come from - only then would you have better idea as to waht needs done or inspected even - or any good local garage should be able to this for you too - If your looking into the engine bay and leak is on the right then its possible it from the transmission or the that side of the engine crank seal only way to know that would be to to have good look under neath and see if thats leaking from the bellhousing the area where the engine is bolted to the gearbox.also check around the gearbox and too where the both driveshafts enter into the diff section of the gearbox for any leaks there.also whilst you under there double check around the edge of the engine oil sump the sump itself for any damage round the corners etc or corrosion also check the sump plug and ensure its not leaking from the copper ring seal..also check around the oil filter too for any obvious issues.aswell as check down at the belt side incase oil is leaking from the timing cover.or crank seal.so it a case of basically working your way up from the bottom - up tracing the route of the leak till you come to the area that causing the issue then clear it as much as you can an monitor that area again for the leak so you know or get an idea thats where the leaks from to take steps to rectify it..so as above its case of finding out which type of oil this is and trace it back basically..i do hope this helps