Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  self employed in the motor repair buisness 19years
13210289

my 2008 nissan navara outlaw makes a burning smell when four

Customer Question

my 2008 nissan navara outlaw makes a burning smell when four wheel drive selected. I have noticed it is leaking oil when stationary. Is this vehicle safe to drive . The burning smell started friday when driving on the motorway. sat morning when driving a grinding noise occured . when stopped and put into two wheel drive noise had stopped. ran it locally today in mainly two wheel drive , noticed the burning smell again when four wheel drive selected. is this pickup safe to drive
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Robert replied 4 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

The burning and grinding smell could be due to the oil leak if its trans/transfer/diff fluid.then you need to have this inspected as asap to aviod any further damage if not already occured - as long as you dont select 4wd then it should be ok in 2wd but wouldnt advise doing any further long journys in the car until this has been inspected to aviod any further damage due to the lack of oil - 4wd is only ever really needed in slippery conditions and shouldnt essentially be used on dry road surfaces..so you best advice would be to have this leak traced to see exactly where this fluid is escaping from - if its from the centre of vehicle then its likly from the transmission/transfer assembly if from the front or rear axles then its the differentials..i do hope this helps