Mike
Mike, UK Nissan Car Mechanic
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Hi, I have a problem with my headlights. When the normal

Customer Question

I have a problem with my headlights. When the normal light is on it gives out this unbearable whinging sound. The long distance light it fine. I have been given a quote to replace the light switch, including labour £240. The value of the car is no more than that.
I wonder if there is a cheaper way of solving the issue.

Best regards
John
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

My name is MIKE - Im happy to help you with this..

Im not really full sure what you mean when you say "whinging" sound... but if its what I think it is - if the headlights have levelling motors - its usually one or both of these that is causing the noise. Inside the car near the headlight switch, will be a rotating switch with numbers - that you use to level / move the headlamps up and down in increments with that switch - while they are in dip mode.

If that is your fault- then the easiest way is to just disconnect the wires to the motors - this is a common thing that people do to save the expense of replacement - you set the switch ( as above ) to setting Zero with the ign on - then disconnect the wiring plug to the back of the little motors on the back of the headlamps units...

So thats the way forward on this..

Now - if its not that -if you dont have the levelling system as above - let me know and I will look at this further for you for other options -

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

>> >> Meantime -- Please click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.