mike_a_mechanic
mike_a_mechanic, Nissan Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic, foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

Nissan Juke. 60 reg. Juddering in first gear when engine is

Customer Question

Nissan Juke. 60 reg. Juddering in first gear when engine is hot - driven in stop, start conditions.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  mike_a_mechanic replied 3 years ago.
Hi,my name is mike and I will do my best to assist you with your question.
Did any warning lights come on at all?
Has the garage scanned the vehicle for trouble codes?
Do you know how the transmission fluid looked?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike

Thanks for your reply. They took the vehicle for a short road test until engine hot although I did tell them that it only happens after at least 4 hrs driving and doing stop/start continually during that time. They said they "looked underneath". I will need to check with garage if they saw to any of these items.

How many times can I get back with questions to yourself

The issue that you are describing and the fact that it happens after the vehicle is at operating temp is consistent with a pressure issue in the valve body of the transmission. The vehicle would need to be hooked to a scan tool and driven this will determine the line pressure,shift times,etc you can respond back to this question as many times as you would like even after rating the answer thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi MIke

Have relaid your opinion to the garage who say because it is a manual, it doesn't apply. They say to use the proper revs when in first gear and if still a problem after a fortnight to get back in touch with them.

Not having the knowledge of the workings of my car I had nothing to come back to say to them. Hoping you do

Ok sorry I did not know that this was not a automatic,they are correct the valve body does not apply. They are incorrect as to say that the proper revs in first gear is all you need to do. Since this is a manual and the vehicle is juddering this takes us away from the gearbox and to the engine. The vehicle is not mis-firing since this does not happen all the time,this issue is consistent with the vehicle sucking in to much air basically choking out. This can and most commonly caused from either a exhaust flow problem or vacuum issue at the engine.