Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

2003 nissan primera 1.8 QG engine 60,000miles looking for

Customer Question

2003 nissan primera 1.8 QG engine 60,000miles

looking for someone with extensive knowledge on Primeras, in particular the known "timing chain issue"

I realise my car will need a new timing chain kit fitted but firstly I'd like an expert opinion as to whether or not it's the timing chain that's preventing it from starting. Here's the background...

A few months ago I got an engime management warning on the screen, I asked the mechanic to investigate a couple of days later while it was in for an MOT. He told me the OBD code was related to a stretched timing chain and as it's quite an expensive repair I should run with for now. He assured me there'd be plenty warning signs if or when it started causing problems. Over the next couple of months the worst it got was that on occaisions when strating, the engine would turn over the immediately die, however, it always started on the next try and then ran as normal. I also noticed that from time to time the computer wouldn't throw the engine management warning at all.

The last journey I made with the car was one of around 30miles which went completely without hitch. The following day, it didn't start at all and hasn't since. I've since discovered the timing chain is a common problem but in all the accounts I've read on forums etc, the fault started gradually and got steadily worse.

I've purchased an OBDii interface and Nissan DATASCAN software which I've managed to connect to successfully and it appears to be successfully running the tests it's able to (ie without the engine running) strangely, the results are all "no faults," as far as OBDii is concerned and the same with the Nissan specific tests although admitedly, I'm not entirely sure how to interperate them or if I'm possibly doing something wrong. It may be relevant to add that the yellow engine management light which I'd learned was flashing an interperatable sequence which was indeed the timing chain code, is no longer doing so.

So... turn the key, plenty starter motor just no firing of the engine. I've pulled the fuel line and established that fuel is indeed being pumped, beyond that I haven't tried anything else.

At this stage I'd be happy if an expert to even point me in the correct direction and I can raise any subsequent queries as fresh ones.

Thanks Duggy
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 3 years ago.
Hi, I'm a Moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, please let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

perhaps if I simplified the question?

Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your continued patience. If you would like to make any edits to your question please let me know and I can make that change for you. We will continue the search for a professional for you.
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello Duggy

to confirm if you need a timing chain or not I'd suggest doing a compression test across all cylinders

as they all be within 10-15 psi of each other and if you have a low pair then this indicates a slip in cam timing and provides the further evidence that a new chain is required