Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

The power steering on sons micra has gone, he has visited

Customer Question

The power steering on son's micra has gone, he has visited four garages and has not yet got a clear answer. It is drivable; is it safe to continue driving it? He is in Turkey with it at the moment.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 4 years ago.

Hi there, you can drive without power steering, it's just alot more difficult to turn.

Can you tell me what symptoms he has? is it leaking power steering fluid? is the pump whining? does he get any noise when turning?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Symptoms - stiff at low speeds but has stiffened up at higher speeds after a long drive. It is an electric ps. I do not believe there is any whining or noise. However there has been comment that it might seize up?

Expert:  Jake replied 4 years ago.
Ohh yes they used the electric power steering starting from 03-2010 on these micras.

Does the steering light stay on or flash? Or no light at all?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The light has come on, however at the last garage they visited it would appear the problem is solved - either because electrics reset OR because the electrical connection at the bottom of the unit was loose. As engineer Turkish he was unable to understand exactly what sorted it. I believe there is a good chance it will occur again, in which case they can now check socket, however if that does not cure it we are back to my original question will it remain just hard to steer OR will it ultimately seize up?

Expert:  Jake replied 4 years ago.
Ok this is exactly what I was wanting to know.

If you had the C-code that was throwing the light I bet it was giving a motor code.

Sometimes you can clear them And it will seem fine for a week or so and come back. If it keeps coming back the electric motor will have to be replaced.

When it fails completely it will remain just hard to turn. It will not seize up or lock it in place, there will just be no motor assistance which will make it very hard to turn.

Let me know how else I can help please