Mike
Mike, UK Nissan Car Mechanic
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

hi,i recently bought a 05 plate outlaw today with 101,000miles

Customer Question

hi,i recently bought a 05 plate outlaw today with 101,000miles on,while accelerating it likes to kick into limp mode till you pull over and switch the engine off and on again then its fine till next time.
It keeps showing and flashing that im in 4lo on screen when im driving round in 2wd?
any help?
Kris.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

My name is MIKE -

Can you tell me which - exactly which fault lights come on in the dash to indicate its in limp mode -

Too - do you have the fault codes out of it ? if so - exactly what are they ?

Also - when , time and mileage wise, was the last service done ?

Rgds - MIKE..................................

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Service just been done all up to date.
No lights,no codes.this is why I find it strange.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again..

Thank you for your reply and info..

If there are no fault lights on - ie, engine systems fault light, then its not going into Limp mode on the engine system, assuming the light does work..

The only proper way of telling is to have a plug in diagnostic done for that but as you are saying there are no fault codes - Im assuming you have had that done.

The above just clarifies the engine side of things systems though - re "limp mode".. What you have though - is as you mentioned - the light for the trans system... showing that the TCM has detected the fault - and put the Trans fault system light I on.. so.. you need to have that system tested - with a plug in fault code device.

With these issues, its a common mistake for garages - smaller types usually, though I have known it with dealers too - -- to do a plug in test -but they are testing the engine management systems not the Transmission system - which is controlled by a totally different Ecu... I suspect that as you are saying its not showing any fault codes, this is what has happened - as there has to be fault codes logged there - in the TCM..

With a fault in either of these systems - switching the engine off and on again will re set the system ecu / tcm... and it will be ok again - until the fault occurs again / is dtected by the computer again... and hence you have what you have.

So arrange to have that done - You may well find you will have to use a dealer for this as most many -if any garages, will have the equipment and proper software to connect to the trans control ecu ( TCM) as above... with the trans fault light on that you have . ( the light you have -being staying on - indicates a / the fault )
Doing as above will extract the relevant fault codes for what you have and that then will tell you / them where the fault lies so it can be then sorted out.

So thats your way forward to getting this sorted Kris -

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

Meantime -- Please click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.