indy-tech
indy-tech, Import tech
Experience:  Import technician
29331485

my xtrail 2003 xtrail sport x looses power randomly then it

Customer Question

my xtrail 2003 xtrail sport x looses power randomly then it wont rev above 1500 rpm.I switch it off and restart then it works fine. There is also a lot of black smoke. Whats wrong with it ?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  indy-tech replied 3 years ago.
Hi .

Thank you for waiting ,and sorry took a bit of time to get to you .

Are you still in need of assistance with this issue or have you sorted this one out.

Kindest regards Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes still waiting on an nswer from someone
thanks
Expert:  indy-tech replied 3 years ago.

Can you get me the malfunction code for the Accelarator pedal ..

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no sorry i dont have that code. I am not going to use the mechanic again who told me this was the problem as he messed me a bout.So i dont want to contact him again.

Is my issue with the car not a well known problem?

Expert:  indy-tech replied 3 years ago.
Hi ..

Yes and now this is why i need a code .the accelerator pedal will cause a problem like you are having . in some cases the pedal is the problem and needs replacing , could also just be a dirty throttle body that needs cleaning and the throttle flap is a bit open due to the carbon build up giving wrong information to the ECM compared to the TPS and pedal sensor which have a set parameter, and when it is outside the setting will cause you problems like you are having until you switch off then back on ,will work for a while then malfunction again ,
Use this info for your next garage you use it may help him depending on the malfunction code that he reads out from the ecm .

Or if you can post me the codes here for me to check for you if needed.

Sorry you was handle so poorly from the last Mechanic , probably loses a lot of customers ..

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back with the reply box below and not the poor or bad service button ,

For further assistance there is no extra charge after accepting.

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i was hopiing you could point to a known issue and a known resolution .i am puting it in the garage on thursday for their opinion as the accelerater part i expensive and i could replace it and still have the problem so i will get bak to you with some comments from them
thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi the error code is p0120 the tps has been identified as causing an issue but the opinion is that would cause the car to judder which it does but possibley not cause it to loose power completely

Expert:  indy-tech replied 3 years ago.
Hi .

I'm so sorry i've been with out Internet the last 24 hrs ,

Yes the P0120 .

Check the earth strap from the battery to the gearbox that you have a good connection or that its not snapped off which is common .
If the strap is good and clean and good contact check it with a volt meter set it on 12 volts and with the black lead put it on the earth post of the battery and the red lead to the
transmission side where the earth strap ends of you have more than .5 volts replace the earth lead and clear codes and test .

Next check the Accelerator pedal position sensor this may be your problem have the shop check this . but do the earth cable first it may just be this that is causing you this problem .

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The earth to the gearbox is okay bu there are two earth leads from the negative terminal I am not sure where the second one should go but its broken. I think it may have went to the chasis.

When I pointed this out to the garage they said that this would not cause the power loss. The garage identified that the TPS is worn and put a meter on it and saw that the voltage was fluctuating. I will check your suggestions to see if the remaining earth cable is more than .5 volts and report back.

Expert:  indy-tech replied 3 years ago.
Hi .

One earth lead goes from the battery to the chassis then to the gearbox ,if this is bad then you have this typical issue and once repaired you should be good to go hopefully ..

But as you can see this is a problem ..

Kindest regards Greg