mike_a_mechanic
mike_a_mechanic, Nissan Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic, foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

Nissan 2.3 Deisel Year 2000 Water pump Push in metal pipe sealing

Customer Question

Nissan 2.3 Deisel Year 2000 Water pump Push in metal pipe sealing ?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  mike_a_mechanic replied 3 years ago.
Hi,my name is mike and I will assist you with your question.
Are you asking what seals the metal pipe that fits in to the water pump?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes there are no O rings or gaskets how is it sealed there is clearance between pipe and pump ( I have a new pump and pipe from nissan)

Mike C

This pipe is supposed to have a o-ring on the end of it and this is what seals the pipe and keeps it from leaking. Since the pipe does not have a o-ring you can either buy a o-ring sold at any parts store or buy water proof silicone sold at parts stores and this will seal the pipe. I have used both. If you buy the o-ring they come in a small kit for various sizes and use the one that feels like it has a tight seal when the pipe is inserted in to the water pump.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi there is no o ring grove in the pump and the pipe is straight no grove

Nissan parts dept say there is no seal

There is no groove for this o-ring and yes the pipe is straight. If they do not offer a o-ring the silicone will be sufficient. Without using something the system will leak.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi I am worried that silicone will not stand the heat and pressure this pipe is behind the rear cam belt cover and you have to remove all the timing pulleys to get at it I cant beleve nissan would do this they have been made since 1994 to 2004 in there thousands

Every one of these I have done has had a o-ring that sits on the end of the pipe I have personally used the silicone it is blue,and it will last because it is designed to with stand heat and does not break down.