Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

I have lost the special security wheel socket for my X-TRail

I have lost the special security wheel nut socket for my X-TRail alloy wheels...
Help!
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 4 years ago.

Jake :

Do you need to take the wheel off immediately?

Customer:

Pretty soon - tomorrow will do. I only found out the problem when I realised I had a flat. I haven't had the car long and this is the first time I have had to remove a wheel. The security socket could not be found. I have a decent socket set and am used to fixing much older vehicles.

Customer:

Have you any answers? I am worried that I have just given you my card details without any help.

Jake :

Hey there

Jake :

reading your response now, one second

Jake :

got pulled away, sorry

Jake :

I can certainly help

Jake :

you have a couple of options, for immediate assistance your best bet is to use a lug extractor tool

Jake :

its simply a socket that when turned left will actually dig into the lug the more you turn it

Jake :

it will ruin your lug, but get it off and you can temporarily put a standard lug nut in its place while you order a new OEM nissan lug lock kit that comes with the key

Jake :

the other option is to weld a standard nut onto that one

Jake :

and worst case scenario, if you have no lug extractor sockets, no welder, then you can grind the lug lock on 2 sides flat

Jake :

and use an adjustable wrench kind of at an angle with a breaker bar

Jake :

let me know what other questions you have please

Customer:

A lug extractor tool sounds best. I'm prepared to sacrifice the security nuts, and the dealer claims to stock replacement sets. Who sells lug extractor tools, and why aren't thieves using themnto remove any alloy wheel on nsight?!

Jake :

Most tool stores have them.

Jake :

the one that i know of, because i have a spare set from is crafstman

Jake :

so any sears or craftsman dealer, the set runs about $40 and comes with 4 two sided extractors for a 1/2" drive

Jake :

then of course MAC and SNAP on sell even better versions for more money, but are not as easy to get spur of the moment obviously

Jake :

the reason thieves aren't doing this is because it's not "speedy"

Jake :

you will tap the extractor bit on, so it starts to bite into the lug, then slowly and evenly turning it to the left it will eat into the lug

Jake :

no thieve wants to fool with that on 4 wheels at 10 minutes per wheel they would get busted to easily.

Jake :

you can't use an extractor socket on an impact, you have to be careful and slowly turn it, to get it to work properly

Customer:

Thanks for your help. I will try to get the right tool tomorrow. If I have problems, can I get further advice tomorrow on the same payment, and how do I do so?

Jake :

Your username and password XXXXX sent to your email on file

Jake :

use it to log in

Jake :

and go to "my questions" at the top right

Jake :

once you rate me it will close the chat box, so it's printable format.

Jake :

but you can still replay back as much as you need

Jake :

as long as it pertains to the original question

Expert:  Jake replied 4 years ago.
Please remember to rate me, and reply here later if needed.
Expert:  Jake replied 4 years ago.
It shows you just requested me? did you need something?

thanks