indy-tech
indy-tech, Import tech
Experience:  Import technician
29331485
Nissan

2007 Pathfinder 2.5 Dci - Low power and black smoke

Hi. I have a 2007... Show More

Hi. I have a 2007 Nissan Pathfinder 2.5 Dci. Recently the car has lost power and has started smoking badly. The clutch may be slipping as well.  I have heard that it may be the injectors, or the turbo. Any ideas ?

Category: Nissan
Show Less
indy-tech, Import tech
replied 3 years ago.
Two problems .

But first let check out the loss of power , what colour is the exhaust smoke .

Was any work done before this problem started .

Rgds Greg

Customer reply replied 3 years ago.
The smoke is very black. The loss of power was the reason we changed all the filters. The black smoke began after the change of filters and oil change.
indy-tech, Import tech replied 3 years ago.
Hi .

Thank yhou .

Okay black smoke is an imbalance in the air to fuel ratio - too much fuel to not enough air, too much fuel is being added to the mix or there's not enough oxygen being supplied to burn the fuel.

Most common causes of black smoke are,
Faulty injectors,
Faulty injector pump,
Bad air filter (causing not enough oxygen to be supplied),
Air intake restrictions ,sucked in plastic bag etc
Bad EGR valve (causing the valves to clog)
Bad turbocharger.
Low fuel pressure.

Remove the air filter and run the engine without (but first check for other restrictions before the air filter), see if still blowing black smoke .

Is the oil level higher than normal .

Rgds Greg

Customer reply replied 3 years ago.
Will carry out tests in the morning and revert.
No problem .get back to me when done .

Rgds Greg
Customer reply replied 3 years ago.

Hi Greg,

We tried to run the car without the air filter but that did not change anything. We also checked the air intake but found no obstructions. The oil level is normal but we did notice one thing when starting up the car this morning ( we have not started it for nearly 3 weeks ). When the engine turned over we heard a sharp sound coming from the engine. It lasted for about a minute and then disappeared. We also noticed that if u accelerate while the car is stationary a similar noise comes from the engine.

Pls advise.

Rgds

Mafany

Hi Mafany.

Next time you start the engine please open the bonnet and check where the noise is coming from as I'm thinking this could be the turbo .

Rgds Greg
Customer reply replied 3 years ago.

Hi Greg,

No noise when the car was started today. Not even when revving the engine :( Still have lots of black smoke. Cud it be a blown gasket between the turbo and the head or a damaged pipe to the intercooler ??

Rgds

Mafany

Remove the intake hose from the turbo and check for oil .

Greg
Customer reply replied 3 years ago.

Hi Greg,

We have checked the hose and discovered a lot of oil. Furthermore, the fan in the turbo appears to be the source of the noise we had been hearing.

Rgds

Mafany

Hi Mafany .

Just as i thought you have a bad turbo .

You will have to replace and clean out the complete system of oil .

The oil is coming from the turbo which is causing the smoke and
loss of power.

Need further assistance then please get back to me .

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back with the reply box below and not the poor or bad service button ,

For further assistance there is no extra charge after accepting.

Rgds Greg
Customer reply replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Greg,

The turbo will be changed and the repairs should be completed next week. Thanks for everything.

Rgds

Mafany

Hi Mafany .

All the best for Christmas and new year.

Rgds Greg