Mike
Mike, UK Nissan Car Mechanic
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

HI THERE. IS THE RADIO IN A TERRANO 2 CONNECTED TO THE IMMOBILISER...?

Customer Question

HI THERE. IS THE RADIO IN A TERRANO 2 CONNECTED TO THE IMMOBILISER...? I JUST CHANGED THE STEREO AND NOW THE CAR WONT START. PLEASE HELP. THX
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.

Jake :

Hi there,

Jake :

the radio is not connected to the Immobiliser

Jake :

is the immobiliser light on solid with the key in the ON position?

Jake :

or is it blinking like normal?

JACUSTOMER-v41kyq4f- :

Before I installled the stereo the immobiliser light blinked when I locked the car. Now it is off when I lock the car. When the ignition is on the red light is solid and the check engine light is on, blinking, which it did not do before. I did turn the ignition on and off multiple times when I installed the stereo without starting the car. I have checked all fuses. The key fob has a flat battery but has been like this for ages. I open the door to via its physical lock which has always been fine. thx.

JACUSTOMER-v41kyq4f- :

Can I reset the immobiliser.

Jake : Thanks, if you had activated the alarm it would be easy to reset, but the alarm is not activated.
Jake : whats happening, if the red immobiliser light Is on solid with the key ON, is not recognizing your key.
Jake : And since all uses are good, then it sounds like you need your key re-registered.
Jake : Do you have a spare key to try?
JACUSTOMER-v41kyq4f- :

I have just found in the owners manual that the radio IS connected to the immobiliser. Removing it DOES activate the immobiliser so I think your original answer was wrong. So I HAVE activated the alarm/immobiliser. Can you therefore tell me the easy way to reset the alarm.

Jake : The inly anti theft feature I have EVER seen in a nissan stereo is a lock out when the factory stereo is removed
Jake : this is ONLY in models outside if the US
Jake : and only prevents using the radio until you enter the radios unlock code
Jake : If you performed the key cycle procedure already for lock out mode
Jake : Then you have already attempted the lockout reset
Jake : but that's for using an unrecognized key
Jake : I will open this question back up for you, and see IF there is a technician in your region who may be more familiar with your situation.
Jake : Because although the terranos are simy a variant of our frontiers there is sometimes things that are different electronically from region to region
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is MIKE.... Im happy to help you .

Im sorry to see that you have been misinformed.. Yes indeed, your radio is interacted with the immobiliser system - changing the radio is why it now wont start.

The security system on your model is completely electronic - you will have to have the vehicle to someone ( local Nissan dealer or whoever has the equipment ) to connect to the car - which will re program the system for it to start.

The only other way would be to refit the original radio...

So thats what's happened here - and your way/s forward now to get this sorted / starting for you.

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

Please do click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.