Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

I have just topped up the engine oil (last oil filter change

Customer Question

I have just topped up the engine oil (last oil filter change 10,000 miles ago) and car has developed a high pitched whistle (dentists drill) when under acceleration. First thought is the turbo. Is topping up the oil a coincidence?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.

Jake : Assuming you didn't overfill the oil
Jake : or put
Jake : motor oil I the gear box
Jake : then the whistle is likely just coincidental
Jake : when you refer to a noise similar to a dentists drill on acceleration it concerns me because it sounds alit like timing chain whime
Jake : if you can rev the engine while parked and listen for the noise location that would be ideal
Jake : if the noise is coming from behind the front timing cover then the chain may have stretched or you need new tensioner feet.
Jake : Let me know if you need anything else