Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  self employed in the motor repair buisness 19years
13210289

Hi My daughter is adriving instructor. She has a test booked

Customer Question

Hi My daughter is adriving instructor. She has a test booked on monday and Tuesday. Her ABS warning light keeps coming on after she has reset it. She will have to cancel the tests and refund the costs out of her own money if she cant get it to stay off. Hers is a 2011 Nissan Micra. Please can you help.
Ken
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

By in what way is it being reset? or by who

Has any further checks on the system been done or anything been replaced upto now?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi this started happening only yesterday so no one has done anything or replaced anything up to now. I have been having a futrher look at it and it appears that the traction control light is staying on. There is a button on the dashboard which turns the traction control light on or off. This is what I pressed yesterday and it also turned off the abs light. I've tried pressing this button now and nothing seems to happen the traction control light stays on also all of the time. I've checked all the fuses.

Hope I have explained this a bit better and perhaps you can help.

Ken

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there thank for yuor reply..

Ok..the TCS "traction control" is all tied in with ABS system so in other words its uses the same wheel speed sensors and or takes info from them via the abs system..if there is fault in abs module/wiring communication fault,wheel speed sensor,target rings then in turn this can have knock on effect with other stabilty systems on the car as they dont get the proper continual messages from these sensors..the problem being with such faults like this and the fact you do have the ABS light on now permantly means the abs system/control module will have fault codes and it these that need to be retrived diagnostically to progress further into the fault and rectify it accordingly - the reason it keeps coming on after reset is that the abs system goes through a self test hence when the light comes on with the rest - each time you turn the ignition once its completed and no faults are found the light goes out shortly after engines started..if it does see a fault then the light stays on and fault codes are stored..the best advice really is to have the system diagnostically tested and see exactly where the fault is or drive the car whilst hooked up and montior it via live reading can often track down the problem - any good garage faced with this fault would do that first..if its just wheel speed sensor then thats not so bad as its just case of replacing that and then reset the system and all should be well after that..If you checked the related fuses then next step apart from checking all the wheel speed sensors and wiring,check for any possible excess wheel bearing movement,abs control module wiring/plug connector pins..then next has to to be done diagnostically as there isnt really much else you can do on manaul bases to check further into the fault without finding out what these fault codes are..I do hope this helps