Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

I bought a 2011 Micra Acenta last September and took it back

Customer Question

I bought a 2011 Micra Acenta last September and took it back to the garage the very next day because of the noise it makes. I was told that this is because it only has 3 cylinders and was normal. Seriously I am actually at the point where the noise is so loud I have to cover my ears. It is a very high pitched whine. A friend told me it sounded like my car was going to explode and I was driving at 40mph.

Please is this normal?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.

Jake : Hi there
Jake : this certainly does not sound normal
Jake : does it whine all the time or only on acceleration?
JACUSTOMER-s8ulnxuf- :

It starts on acceleration and then just seems to stay there.

Jake : Thank you
Jake : Sounds to me like you may have a gearbox issue
Jake : The CVT transmissions are known to produce a high pitched whine when they are going out
Jake : especially when accelerating or decelerating
Jake : So assuming you can't pin point a noise location while idling then it sounds to me like CVT gearbox whine
JACUSTOMER-s8ulnxuf- :

Ok great thank you, we are taking it back to the garage again this afternoon and I wanted to go armed with some information this time. Do you think it needs a new gear box then? Especially as it is not very old.

Jake : How many miles on it?
JACUSTOMER-s8ulnxuf- :

Just over 12k

Jake : Sorry for the delay
Jake : yes that's very low mileage
Jake : and the CVT IS WARRANTED FOR FIVE YEARS OR 60,000 MILE
Jake : certainly do not listen to their excuse that it is normal because a loud wine is certainly not normal
JACUSTOMER-s8ulnxuf- :

Thank you very much for all your help :)

Jake : Your welcome
Jake : if you need anything else just ask
Jake : if not, please leave me a kind rating
Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.
Please remember to leave me a positive rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jake

Thought you would like to know how we got on, they agreed there was a problem but have said it is the wheel bearings, which they are repairing. They have given us a courtesy car as they are going to keep it overnight.

Will be interesting to see if the noise has gone when we get it back.

Thank you again for your help

Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.
Your very welcome.

Wheel bearings usually make more or a roaring sound then a whining, but if you hear the sounds anytime the vehicle is moving, whether in gear or not, then it very well could be the bearings, which will be an easy fix!

so thank you for updating me on your progress. Once the repair is done, feel free to let me know if it is resolved.