Mike
Mike, UK Nissan Car Mechanic
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Left my 55 plate micra parked up for couple of months because

Left my 55 plate micra parked up for couple of months because sump was burst when I went to repair it I could not get doors to open so replaced battery in key still would not open .key hole in passenger door did nothing either . So got door to open by pulling on a cable and using slim Jim on lock .got into car but no power to dash lights or any electrics except headlights .when I press button on key indicator lights flash on dash only ,but no effect on problem would appreciate any advice u may have
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name isXXXXX happy to help you ..

Your symptoms are that of a dead battery - car battery that is.

If and when a car battery fails to such a degree as its totally flat, even a jump start will not work, because it needs a certain amount in the main battery ...

I suspect it may well be too far gone to successfully re charge the battery - certainly a home charger would be no good , they are too low amperage won't deal with sulphated plates in the battery due to such a low charge start- you could ask a garage to attempt to charge or fit a new / known good battery ... Given what you have described, that is the way forward on this one -

Do let me know if you need anything else at all -

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

.................Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks mike . Just wondering if there is enough power for the headlights to turn on would that not also mean the ignition lights would light up as the headlights do turn on and are bright but no life at all on dash when ignition is in on position . Just want to check before I buy a battery
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again David..

Thank you for your reply - Sorry I could only just get back to you..

Now that is a good point David... If the headlights are truly bright ( Im sorry I missed that !) then I would not suspect the battery - Though it would be a good idea to test it - a local garage can do whats called a "drop test" on it if you could get it too them - to be sure on that... but - I have to say, if the headlights are ok, for sure, then I would expect you would get ignition / dash lights...

With these they have the NATS security system - if there is a problem there - you would get the normal dash lights -so its not that ( no fob issues etc )

Carefully just check the actual battery connections - be sure they are all good / tight - Check also, the earth connections to the body ( these do suffer with "bad connections"..)

If thats all ok, then you need to check the fuses on this David - Im even wondering if when you slim jim'd the door, if you may have damaged wires in the door - which are connected through to the ignition system, via the security system - thats just a thought ( just in case/ to bear in mind )

But check the fuses now first -

In the "main" engine bay fuse box - the larger one - check fuses numbers - 2 and 52. Also - you will see a relay in position number 9.. pull that out - check the connections / clean and re fit ...

If still needed - check the next engine bay fuse box - this one has 1 module and 16 fuse "locations" - not all may be used - check fuses , 31 ( 40 amp) and 33 ( also a 40 Amp )

If still needed - in the small engine bay fuse box ( 4 fuse positions )...check fuses, 3 and 4. ( They are a 60 and a 80 amp )...

Now - if all checks out as ok as above - I would suspect an actual ignition unit fault - this then would need further investigation - but lets be hoping you find the fault through the above - Let me know how you get on David.. Im always happy to help further if still needed..

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

...Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

Rgds, MIKE.