Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

Hi. I have just purchased a Nissan Almera Tino, 2.0L Automatic,

I have just purchased a Nissan Almera Tino, 2.0L Automatic, year 2001.

I have acquired the car with a slight problem with the fuel regulator. Something may have previously been damaged, and there is currently a pair of mole grip pliers clamped on a pipe coming from the regulator.

The previous owner said that if the pliers are clamped in the correct position, the car runs sweetly.

Any ideas as to where the problem may lie. Could it be as simple as replacing the fuel regulator, or maybe just the pipe.

Any help or advice you could give me at this stage would be great.

Pat
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.

Jake :

Hi there

Jake :

depending on where the clamp is located exactly would help

Jake :

should have 2 lines with 1 of them being a vacuum line

Jake :

i would pretty much bet that the line that is being clamped is the vacuum

Jake :

which means 1 of 2 things

Jake :

either the fuel pressure is low, and hes cutting vacuum to raise fuel pressure.

Jake :

or the fuel pressure regulator is bad, and leaking fuel through the vacuum line and flooding it out.

Jake :

so ideally you would want to remove the clamp

Jake :

and see if there is fuel in the vacuum line

Jake :

if there is, then you need a new regulator

Jake :

if no fuel in it, then you need to check fuel pressure as it's likely low

Jake :

le tme know if you need anything else

Jake :

thanks

Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.

If you need anything else just ask.

otherwise please leave a kind rating. thanks

Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience: Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jake.

This fuel pressure regulator. Is there any way I can tell if it is faulty? Should I be able to suck or blow through it?

Also, do you know if a regulator for a 2.0L is the same as a 1.8L regulator, or are the settings different.

The 2.0L part is proving quite hard to find.

Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.
If the 1.8 and 2.0l are visually the same to where the factory connections will work then you should be fine.

You should not be able to blow through it it should hold vacuum.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for that Jake.

Just to summarise, we cannot blow through the regulator, so does it sound like the regulator could be fine.

If so, any idea where the problem could lie. Originally some one had fixed some mole grip pliers to the fuel pipe, presumably to reduce some pressure.

The pipe is now damaged through the pliers, so maybe that is sucking in air too??

Please help!!!

Thx

Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.
At this point considering the users make a difference in how it runs, I would repair any damaged lines and check fuel pressure and go from there. Until that's rectified doing anything else is really pointless l.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, thanks for the advice.

Just out of interest, when we replace the fuel pipe later this afternoon, how do we check the fuel pressure.

Cheers

Pat

Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.

You just need a mechanical gauge with a t-fitting adapter to put between the rail and fuel line.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jake.

Thanks once again for your time.

Right, we replaced the new fuel pipe with a brand new piece of pipe. The car now starts okay, runs for a short time, then goes to stall. If you apply more revs to try and keep it running, it just splutters and dies.

I am going to try and test the pressure going through the regulator, but can you advise of what the ideal pressure is that should be coming through the regulator.

Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.
Should be 34-35 psi
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok nice one. Will check that later.

Or another note..... could this be anything to do with the Lambda sensor and maybe not related to the fuel pressure regulator at all?

What do you reckon?

Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.

It's highly unlikely that a Lambda sensor would effect driveability that harshly. Especially sputtering under revs like that.

If any sensor was causing it, it would be the MAF sensor and not the Lambda sensor. The only accurate way to check a MAF sensor is with fuel trim readings.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jake.

Getting there slowly. We replaced the fuel pressure regulator & fuel pipe, and after some initial spluttering and stalling, the system sort of cleared and car ticked over nicely.

Then the revs keep dropping really low, say 400-500 rpm, and sometimes it picks itself back up and recovers, and other times it just cuts out and dies.

Any ideas where we would look now?

Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.

Now that you have corrected the issue with the fuel system it may just be an idle adaptation issue.

Now since you have a 2001 your right at the changeover year on the throttle systems, so i am not sure if you have the standard cable driven throttle system with idle control valve or if you have the fully electronic throttle.

If you have the standard throttle assembly you just need to clean it out spotless and drive the vehicle and allow it to relearn it's adaptations. The electric throttles require an idle volume relearn procedure.