Mike
Mike, UK Nissan Car Mechanic
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Purchased a NISSAN S15 Sylvia Varietta ,had problems with roof

Customer Question

Purchased a NISSAN S15 Sylvia Varietta ,had problems with roof operating. Took it to my local ICE technician's, they said no probs come back in an hour more than likely just a sensor. Went back and another 2hours later they managed to get it moving but still in a erratic manner, finally getting the roof to open go into the boot recess and with the boot still in an upright position pack in altogether, meaning that now they cannot get at the lifting gear beneath the roof. The car is now open to the weather and cannot be driven with the boot upright!. Is there a manual override for the roof system?. Due to hospital appointments I need the car back asap.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Now without car for 4 days, Autech sent attachment back in Japanese

but when translated by Google it makes no sense at all. Nissan Euro at Newcastle got back and stated they were not the tech dept. and to get my local dealership to get answers, waste of time as I have been there and they are clueless about the roof system. InCarEntertainment have

suggested dismantling boot etc. but they admit they are just working blind-they expected it to be a sensor problem but I cannot afford to let them just go in blind as most of the time they tried to get the roof working was time just manually pulling the system all over the place. If they can get the roof switch lit up again they might get the roof up and get it shut so I can drive it to a Nissan workshop. I am now going to try and contact Mercedes SLK mechanic to see if they can suggest something as all my dealings with Nissan have drawn a blank. As I am unemployed at present I need you to come up with an answer or refund the £26 if you cannot help. I am now really stressed as I need the car back on the road due to health problems. regards mike

Thank you for getting back to me and providing more information. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Through your Nissan contacts can you get an answer from Autech Japan as they are the dept. of Nissan that built these cars. Surely someone at Autech can speak English and can explain what to look for?. I will go to ICE shortly and suggest that they try to get the roof (rocker switch?) to light up again then it might be possible to get the roof up again. My worry

now is that they might have twisted the alignment of the roof and the sensors are now cutting the roof system from operating to prevent self harm. Is it possible to override the sensor system?. After this experience I think the car will be sold this summer and replaced with another Skyline!.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is MIKE - Im happy to help / advise you ..

Im sorry to see you have had a wait on your question...

Can you tell me what the current situation is..

What exactly happened in the first place ?

Also - what exactly did the mechs do.. when they got it "work"..?

Can you possibly send me the attachment you received from Autel -

Rgds, MIKE..................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Will send attachment on if you can give me the email address to send it to.

Back to ICE today and because they wanted the space they just went ahead and stripped the car and billed me for £200. They managed to get the roof up so at least I can drive it although I have a boot full of pieces and it still does not operate. They have told me that where it locks in the locking recesses they are not releasing properly, that might explain not getting the roof up but not why it doesn't want to go down and the roof light on the dash still not lighting up, however it is still lowering all four windows which is part of the opening process.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again -

Thank you for your reply.

Ok - re the attachment - it was really only to see if I could help you on the translation and therefore the info too..

Looking at the actual fault - it is a known / common issue where you get the lock / latches sticking - therefore not releasing ( or latching to close )... and this can often be a fault with the latch itself - but --- in your case, obviously I cant be there to check, but its more likely that you have a twist in the frame work ( hinges usually but it can be on the main frame ).. and that means that it wont either latch / unlatch because of the twist....but - before you even get to the latching ( opening / closing )- if the roof sticks in operation as you have - then this is invariably down to either a twist...or damage to the mech / hinges.. or it can even be partial seizing of the mechanism - on the hinges / workings - which will cause exactly the same..

It should be noted that any of the faults herein will cause the light not to work.
So, in this case, Im afraid its not possible to say for sure that "it will be this / that" - only to tell you what needs to be checked -in line with known / common causes of what you have..
So it has to be worked through / checked through carefully as above to find and then cure this - that is the way to find / cure this issue for sure for you.

Do let me know if you need anything else at all -

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

...Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.