Mike, UK Nissan Car Mechanic
Experience:  Tech Expert

nissan cabstar34-10 3.0 litre d for first time difficult to

Customer Question

nissan cabstar34-10 3.0 litre d for first time difficult to start in morn went to work left for 4 hours strated fine switched off left for 1 hour started fine drove home for lunch came out started fine after 800 yards it quit changed fuel filter to no avail will run on easy start so no mechanical eng prob suspect fuel pump or cut off solenoid there is fuel going to the injectors but unsure of the pressure diagnostics show no fault codes on any of the systems its a mechanichal fuel pump but fly by wire any ideas
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is MIKE - Im happy to help you ..

Can you tell me if you have any fault lights on the dash at all ?

Too - have you any results of any tests?

What mileage does the vehicle have ?

Rgds, MIKE....................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi mike it is 2005 cabstar with approx 40 thou miles had tdc sensor changed about a year ago there are no warning lights on and diagnostics are not showing any fault codes the vehicle has been running fine up to now but was a reluctant to start on the morning in question but was absolutely fine after that then later on in the day it was started no prob but then stopped after a few hundred yards changed fuel filter opened injector pipe ther is fuel getting there but not sure that ther is sufficent pressure mechanichal wise the eng seems fine when i went to the vehichle i cranked it over a few times for about 20 secs a time on 1 occasion it fired on 1 cyl for only 1 stroke then nothing i suspect pump or maybe broken wire in loom its not showing any immobiliser faults either. is the fuel cut off solenoid situated between the delivery valves onthe pump can it be removed so as to take out the plunger ? are there any commons faults that i can look for that
cabstars are know for

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello there David -

Thank you for your reply and further info..

Ok - re the pressure- you will need an Obd tester -plugged in to read the pressure you are looking for a consistent - 250 Bar... If its erratic or not close, then you have the issue there to be traced - This can be a pump issue - it can also be an injector/s issue.. if one or more of the injectors is suddenly losing pressure, it will drop your system pressure - and the ecu will not let the engine start... I actually think you will find it to be an injector issue-as this is common...

But you can check a couple other things - one the Tdc sensor- I know you have had it replaced but they are a common failure... on test you should see 900-1000 Ohms... but this is a little hard to be sure - as they tend to break down and cause cut outs when they get warm / hot - and then ok again when cool. really - you need a diag machine plugged on in Live Data mode while running / driving to see whats failing to be honest - that would be the best way...quickest way.

Another common issue that will cause such problems is a faulty Ect ( ecu temp sender unit ) -- You can test this too - you should see between 2-3000 ohms at 20 degrees on that ... Again - they are a common fault.

So you can test these items as I say - but if it were here - I would be looking to hook up the injectors and have a flow rate / leakage test done ( re the above ).. and then go from there.

Really a local Diesel Specialist if you have one is best for that - it does need the equipment to do it.. If not - you will need a local garage that works with diesels - and have the test equipment to progress / cure this for you - but working through as above you wil get this sorted.

There is no fuel cut off by the way- not like the older models )

Let me know how if you need anything else-

>>> >> > Meantime...

Please do click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now at this point , Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.