Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

why is it so difficult to remove the thermostat housing from

Customer Question

why is it so difficult to remove the thermostat housing from the engine block. I have removed 3 bolts, the car is a Nissan micra reg DE02 EOU
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.

If this is a 1.0 micra then your doing it right.

Just remove the hose, then the bolts, then seperate the housing. Now the housing can get pretty hard to seperate over time the gasket and coolant combined make for a really strong seal. The housing is aluminum though so you have to be careful not to crank it or chip it.

One thing you can try without marring it up is to take a wood dowel or handle and put it in the neck to where the housing flares and slowly push down while tapping by the seal with a rubber mallet. This almost always will cause it to come apart starting at the top and you can pull it apart.