Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.

We have a 2008 Nissan Pathfinder. It starts from cold, but

We have a 2008 Nissan Pathfinder. It starts from cold, but then the engine cuts out if left idling or you try to pull away. This appears to be fuel starvation. If the engine is revved at 2,000rpm for a minute or two and the engine is warned up, then it drives normally. Any ideas what the problem could be? Nissan has suggested we replace all the pipes in the fuel system at a cost of c. £2,500, but we hope to find a cheaper solution!
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
Nissan probably suspects air getting in the lines, if I was you I would simply bleed the fuel system to get any air out then just replace the SCV if the symptoms continue.

The SCV is like a throttle for the high pressure pump and controls fuel volume for it.

Let me know if you need anything else.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We have already replaced the fuel filter following mis-fueling the vehicle. It ran fine for a while, then this problem started to happen. We then replaced the valve and the fuel system was re-calibrated. Again, it ran fine for a week or so, then the engine started cutting out again. Would love your advice.

Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
What fault codes are you still getting?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We don't know which tests to ask the garage to do. The Nissan main agent have just said we need to replace all the fuel lines at a cost of c.£2,500. We aren't convinced that will solve it given that the car runs fine once it is running. We have taken the car to a diagnostics testing centre that spent an hour investigating the poor cold starting fault. 1 code was recorded in memory - P1272 fuel pressure controlvalve malfunction. They recommend removing the fuel pump for checking and testing, but again, that isn't cheap.

They also said that it is possible that misfueling caused some of the metal to chafe and that is still in the system and/or caused damage, but that seems unlikely if it runs OK when warm. Other forums suggest it could be the switch to the pump and we could try disconnecting the battery, leave for 10 minutes, then re-connect. If it starts, then the problem is electrical. We haven't tried this yet.

Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
Ok, and not to be be repetitive but you replaced the suction control valve and re calibrated the pump and you STILL have the same fault code?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just to run through exactly what happened:

I mis-fuelled the car - put petrol into a diesel car. I drove probably 5miles back home. Parked the car overnight. It wouldn't start the next morning and I realised what I had done. I called the RAC to recover me to my garage.

Garage drained the car and replaced the fuel filter. The car started up fine, and ran well for a couple of weeks and we drove c. 600 miles in this time. One strange thing that happened during this time was when we driving along a dual carriageway, put our foot down to overtake and the car kicked itself into "safe" mode and cut itself,down to 20 mph and a little light came on on the dashboard saying 4WD. We pulled over, stopped the engine, and the car re-started fine and drove fine the rest of the journey (c150miles). This makes me wonder whether the problem we are having now is not connected to the fuel issue.

Then the car started to cut out after started cold as we pulled away. We took it back to the garage who changed the valve and re calibrated the fuel system. They kept the car 3 days and it started first the every time. Worked fine for us for another week or so, then the same problem crept back in. They then said there was nothing else to try.

We then rang a main agent who said all they could do was change the entire fuel system (at huge expense). We are reluctant to do this when it might not be the problem, especially as this 1st garage said that many people mis-fuel vehicles and they had never see it lead to further complications.

We therefore then took it to the diagnostics place who told us this fault code. This has all been over the past couple of months so we are left with the vehicle just sitting I the drive, not knowing what to do next with it.

Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the detailed reply.

Considering the 4wd system has nothing to do with starting the vehicle, we can safely assume that's not our main concern at to his time.

I have seen lots of cases where petrol accidentally is fueled instead of diesel and have seen a wide array of different symptoms in those cases. Sometimes draining the tank, bleeding the lines, replacing the filter, and filling with diesel is all that's needed. I have seen other times where pumps and injectors are damaged because of it ect.

I would be far less concerned with the fuel lines that your dealer mentioned, bleeding the lines and driving the vehicle since then would have them free from petrol by now, I am more concerned with the pump and valve then anything else.

Now the garage can watch the valve on there scan tool to see its operation, but you need to be having the problem when they are inspecting it.

The real dilemma with intermittent issues is they never seen to be happening when the garage is inspecting them.

I do believe this is a pump related issue though, whether from valve or rail pressures.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jake

Thanks so much for your reply. Specifically, what do you suggest we do? What should we ask the garage to do next in order that we can get the car back on the road in a cost effective way?

Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
Have the garage use their scan tool while the vehicle is having the fault. The rail pressure sensor will allow you to watch fuel pressures via the scan tool without using a mechanical gauge. If pressures stay consistently off then you can have them perform a leakage test to check for the culprit.

If pressures are sporadic replace the pressure valve on the pump and re calibrate it.
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience: Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.