Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

I have a 2007 Nissan Pathfinder. 2.5 litre diesel with 7 seats.

Customer Question

A few weeks ago in heavy motor way traffic it would not pick up speed when the road opened up. There was simply no power or revving.
I pulled in an switch off the engine. It took 2-3 attempts to restart but it did and drove again as normal.
A few days later on going up a hill it did the same thing as I tried to accelerate. The 4WD light also came on eventhough the switch was on 2WD.
When I brought to my mechanic he said it was dirty fuel. He got a computer reading which said something to do with the fuel relief valve. He "cleared this". It did not work as I had the same problem going home, when I went to accelerate it would not kick on but seems to want to stay at 60kms/hr and the accelerator is redundant. Again the same solution. Turn off engine. Restart and drive away.
The next day I went back an suggested he change the fuel filter. He did and I was fine for 2 week. But the problem has returned again following a fueltank fill with a cheap no brand diesel (accidently put in as I was advised to go to a branded filling station).
I am not sure what to do.
Can you give me any suggestions please?
Thanks so much.
Philip in Cork, Ireland - + 353 87 666 111 6
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.

Phillip, when this happens. Can you turn the car off and release the fuel cap and re-intall it and let me know if it clears up for a few days?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK. I will try this. I presume you just mean open and close the cap where I put in the diesel?

I should also have said in my original email that I believe the fuel consumption has increased dramatically. As in my Pathfinder appears to be much thirstier since this problem started. Maybe it was a bit better when I got the new fuel filter.

Thanks a million Jane.

FYI, I no nothing about engines so consider me a complete beginner.

Cheers

Phil

Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.

Exactly Phil, I see these symptoms alot on the pathfinders and frontiers with the same engines.

Usually the result of the suction control valve on the pump, which works like a throttle to supply fuel volume to the high pressure pump. When they start acting up you can usually release the pressure at the fuel cap and it temporarily rectifies the problem. Just a little trick an owner can try without going into to much technical diagnostics.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I mentioned I had a couple of weeks with no issues but the problem came back again last Saturday.

Thereason I mention this is that it came back after I filled the fuel tank completely with Diesel. The problem kicked in about 5 minutes into my journey after this fill.

What do you think is the long term solution to this problem?

For now I will open the fuel cap before and after journeys - if I can remember to do so.

Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.
Likely replacing the SCV
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jake

Are we done?

I understand I need to open and close the fuel tank cap when it happens again. I am wondering if I should leave the cap loose so air can get in?

Is this a good way to progress or should I just get a new Suction Control Valve?

Can you supply me with a SCV?

Phil

Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.
Leaving the cap loose will cause an emissions evap leak code, so don't do that.
The best place to buy one is eBay, just make sure it's OEM quality dense which is readily available.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sound man Jake.

Is there a part code or will I just look for a Suction Control Valve for a pathfinder. How long should it take my mechanise to replace. Is it easy to access?

I'll rate your service now. I am a first time user and very impressed. Thanks for all your help.

Phil

Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.
There the same for 2.5 from 06 year model up.
I can get you a part number if needed but it will specify the year model on the listing. Just make sure it's an OEM part.
Mechanic will charge 2 hours for replacement plus calibration.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jake

I had this part replaced as you suggested.

I find that the fuel consumption has increased dramatically.

Is there anything I can do to get better fuel efficiency?

Is the Suction Control Valve the same at the Fuel Pressure Sender?

Hope you can help.

Cheers

Philip (in Cork, Ireland)

+ 353 87 666 111 6

Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.
Hey there Phillip.
As long as your mechanic recalibrated it after installing the SCV then your fuel consumption should not have increased.
Did replacing the valve resolve the stalling issue you were having though? Just a fuel consumption issue now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes. the stalling problem is gone , unless I stay in Neutral. If I am in neutral it can return. I would not say it is stalling just no power to go forward.

Is the Suction Control Valve the same at the Fuel Pressure Sender? I went to the Nissan dealer in Cork for the SCV part you suggest but I think they game me a Fuel Pressure Sender. I have asked them to confirm but they cannot find my order on their system.

The part was fitted by an independent mechanic in early May when we were last in touch. I will ask him now if he recalibrated it.

I am not very mechanically minded so sorry if I come across a bit stupid!

Thanks Jake

Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.
essentially YES.
The high pressure systems don't have the rail mounted convential FPR's you seen on petrol engines. The pressures are extremely high and monitored by a sensor at the rail.
The SCV volume control fluctuates and effectively controls pressure.
Once installed it MUST be re-calibrated or it won't run right.
Would run you about L65 to have done at the dealer if your independent mechanic cannot do it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will follow up and let you know.

Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.
Sounds good
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yeah - he said he recalibrated it so I am going to have to bring it back to him and see if he did everything properly.

Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.
Ok, let me know if you still have problems afterwards.