Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

Nissan micra 1.6sr 2005 Whirring noise when driving, more

Nissan micra 1.6sr 2005
Whirring noise when driving, more obvious as the car speeds up
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
Hi there, do you hear the same whirring noise in park when reving the engine as you do while driving?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The moment you start to turn the engine over you hear the noise
Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
Gotcha, so anytime the engine is running then, regardless if you are driving or not.

If the noise didn't disappear when the accessory belt was removed. Then you need to consider listening to the front case to make sure one if the timing tensioners is not making the noise.

You can use a long screwdriver at the top of the case like a stethoscope to get an idea if that's where it's coming from.

Let me know. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nissan micra query yesterday not completed
Tried disconnecting the tension belt and whirring noise disappears
What next
Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
Perfect, since you know it's coming from a pulley or accessory on that belt. Now you can turn the pillows by hand to check for noise or play. If you can't tell by hand, re-install the belt and with the car running spray them one at a time with silicone spray until the noise goes away. Then you found the one at fault.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry done that and still the whirring persists.

could it be something that is totally ok and just develops in micros as they get older do you think?

Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
Well if the whirring disappears with the belt removed it's either the belt or one of the accessories or their Pullies.

Yes it's certainly something that happens due to wear and old age, but replacing the part that's whirring will rectify the noise.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What are repercussions if I ignore it.. Could it do major damage to the engine or running of car. Or just be inconvenient when it finally breaks, whatever it is that will break eventually

Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
Yes, whatever accessory or pulley is failing will eventually fail. Granted it may be a LONG time before it does. The repercussions are minimal considering the belt that was removed.

Let me know if you need anything else.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Not quite sure about that... When belt is on it makes the noise and when removed it stops whirring sound, does that mean that maybe the wrong tension belt has been fitted Have nissan modified their belts and parts for the micra

Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.

The belt has not been revised, and if you can twist the belt sideways (90 degrees) then it's not too tight.

I know it does, none of the accessories or pullies are moving when the belt is ON, so it's pretty obvious when refitted that the belt or accessories now in action are at fault.

WORST case scenario you lose power steering or alternator power or both.

Your not looking at any major form of engine damage.

Please do correct the previous rating and leav me a kind one as I am more than willing to continue helping you. Your previous rating was a bit unfair and damages my reputation.

thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you apparently the last tension belt that was ordered was generic and the mechanic needed to do a lot of fiddling to get it fitted.. This stopped the whirring for a few weeks and then it started again

possibly it needs the Nissan belt?

Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
In that case, yes.

Try fitting a Nissan belt.
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience: Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.