Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

hi my 4x4 light is on and four wheel drive will not select

hi my 4x4 light is on and four wheel drive will not select had a clutch fitted 6 months ago but only used 4wheeldrive once,
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.
Hi there, is the 4x4 light in solid or flashing while driving?

Have you tried stopping the vehicle and placing it in neutral before shifting to 4lo ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it is a solid light and a manual gearbox,

light came on and occationaly went out and 4x4 indicator comes back on but is on every time vehicle used

Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX would want a scan tool that read the code in the transfer control unit.

otherwise I can let you know some common causes of these symptoms.

The ATP switch, wait detection switch, and transfer control actuator are all possibilities that commonly happen on these trucks.

Ideally any switch on the transfer case failing will prevent 4x4 operation. If any fault is detected it prevents 4x4 operation for fail safe reasons and turns on the 4x4 indicator.