Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

I have a 2004 petrol powered Nissan Almera Tino (1.8). Owned

I have a 2004 petrol powered Nissan Almera Tino (1.8). Owned it for 8 years with no problems. Now it will start only occassionally. Green Flag recovered it for me and did a diagnostic which resulted in a PO 340 fault code - camshaft sensor. I fitted a new one (cost £42) but no improvement. When it does start it runs as normal, full power & smooth acceleration, even while still cold. If I turn the key and it starts, then switch it off, it will not start again. It I try again it sometimes tries to run but peters out. Then it gets to the point where it will not fire, even momentarily. I then stop trying, come back the next day and it starts, usually straight away. It's as though it only wants to run once per day - very odd. Can someone help me.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.

Hi there, if the cam sensor code is still there, then I would consider making sure you have a NISSAN OEM sensor as the aftermarket ones never work right.

If that does not rectify the problem and you still not getting spark when cranking, your engine may have jumped time. To verify this you can usually do easily by watching intake timing fluctuations while cranking. Which a high level scanner can do.

If you have firther questions let me know. thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jake

Sorry, but due to my inexperience and lack of knowledge, I didn't understand you initial answer. I bought the replacement cam sensor from the main Nissan agent in Northampton so I assume it is OK. Also, I didn't understand what you meant by "the engine may have jumped timing" (it does run well whjen it does start) or what you meant by "intake timing fluctuations when cranking" Please clarify, thanks - Jim

Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.

Hey Jim, not a problem.

The engine jumping time is when the timing chain jumps a few teeth on the sprocket.

This effects the engines ignition and fuel timing and creates issues with starting the engine especially when warm. This is more commonly seen after a water pump replacement or something similar though.

Intake timing fluctions (advance and retarding) are somethign you can view on the scanner to see if the engine has jumped time.

Most importantly though is whether or not you still have the cam sensor code, you never elaborated on that at all.

If the code is STILL there even with a new sensor fitted, then we need to address that.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jake,

Thanks for the clarifications, I'm learning quickly! I hope this is my final question.

I just realised I had forgotten to mention that the engine management warning light (a little yellow picture of an engine) has been coming on everytime I switch on. Could that be saying some other component has failed and, if so, what else is there in the ignition system to fail ?

You mentioned the cam sensor code (PO 340) - provided to me by Green Flag who rescued me when this first happened. I thought the new sensor would fix that. I think you are saying I should re-diagnose now I have a new cam sensor ?

Very many thanks - Jim

Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.

Jim when the key is first turned to the ON position the yellow engine light comes on fo rthe bulb check and then turns off. If the light REMAINS on when the engine is running then you need to what fault code is still present.

Yes Jim the new sensor should have corrected the P0340 trouble code, if it did not there is a wiring problem.