Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

I have had my Nissan X trial Satnav system upgraded to meet

Customer Question

I have had my Nissan X trial Satnav system upgraded to meet the latest French requirements for Radar Detection. What documentation can I get from Nissan showing proof of the modification? My local dealer has been unable to help me.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have not got an answer to my question. I urgently need to have some sort of answer.

Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.
Hi there thanks for the question.

Can you explain to me exactly what was required from your inspection facility? Are you saying the software version for the sat/nav was not the correct version and required an update?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am looking for documentation that I can present to the French that proves that the Sat Nav has been updted with software that complys with the new French laws relating to radar detection.

The only document I have recieved from Nissan, Crawley (who made the software modifcation) is a Sales Invoice. This only states "UPDATE SAT NAV SOFTWARE FOR USE IN FRANCE".

I was expecting a Certificate of Conformety, os somthing similar, stating what wsa required and how the software was changed.

The penality if I am caught by the French is a 1500 euro fine and confiscation of the car,

Please advise if there is a way of imoblising the Sat Nav - compliant with French requirement - that can be reversed on my return to the UK. I would then be able to use a mobil Sat Nav.

Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.
That's actually normal procedure, if they were concerned to the point if fining you then the software version could be verified to prove its compliance.

If your ultimately uncomfortable and want tie disable the sat/nav there are couple possible ways depending on what features you still plan to utilize.

Obviously the navigation integrated display is used for a host of features and keeping it off the navigation map is easily done, but it sounds like to me you want to disable the satellite reception?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can the Nissan dealer I used provide me with a statement giving details of the software version they have loaded? If so how do I go about that?

As a last option how do I, or better still get my Nissan dealer to temporly disable the Sat Nav?

Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.

Absolutely, they can look up the current software version on consult and copy/email/print the current software version.

Temporarily disabling the system will be a bit of an issue, because you will lose other functions with no antennae operation, or if you disables the screen that would keep from being able to navigate you other features like climate and audio features. Plus the dealer would have to re-enable them later. The way to do this is manually disconnect the feature, not do any programming of any sort.

I venture to say your safe with a receipt from the dealer, especially if they give you the software version data.

Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience: Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have requested my Nissan Dealer provide the information you suggested. They have advised they are unable to do so.

Do you have an yother proposals?

Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.

I am uncertain why they were unable to provide that info.

The don't even need to hook the consult they can enter the self diagnostic function and view it?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How can I get the version myself? Can I get directly from the Sat Nav? If please give step by step instructions if that is practical

Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.

Start the self diagnosis feature, then select confirmation/adjustment, you can then scroll down to select version information.