Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

I have a 2007 xtrail and recently have had problems with starting

I have a 2007 xtrail and recently have had problems with starting at different times of the day. No problems have shown when put on the computer. I had let it run down on fuel and thought it might be dirt. The mechanic changed all the filters. When I start her sometimes the rev counter speeds up and she runs like this for a couple of seconds. I start to move of and she cuts out. Other times there are no problems. There is 80 000 on the clock
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.

hi there, are you still needing assistance with this?

I assume your working on a diesel version correct? this is not a petrol engine?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes diesel engine.

Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.

Try something for me, turn the key to the ON position and wait 3 seconds and turn it back off.

Do this twice and then start then start the engine and let it idle for a minute. Let me know if it cuts out when you go to drive.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Did what u advised and she cut out while idling just before the min was up

Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.
After she kills out can you start back up immediately then drive off?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

After doing what u advised bit sticky for few seconds but then starts. Has done that previously but but runs fine for the rest of journey. Other times there are no probs and starts one turn of key. Sometimes feels like it loses power for a split sec

Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

Sounds like it may have some air trapped in the fuel feed line, this would explain while once it stalls out it will run fine the rest of the journey. With no fault codes I would start by bleeding the air out at the filter then recalibrating the SCV if not rectified.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank u thats gives me somewhere to go when speaking to my mechanic. stupid girl question what is scv.

Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.
your welcome, the SCV is the suction control valve. It works like a throttle for the high pressure injection pump.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Again thank u great service

Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.
Your welcome, please leave me a kind rating if you don't mind. I would appreciate it.