Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

I get a rattle noise from the engine when I change gear (drop

Customer Question

I get a rattle noise from the engine when I change gear (drop the clutch) when accelerating I also get it at some speeds when de-accelerating it only last a few seconds any ideas it has done 75,000 mikes
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.

Hi there, I wanted to see if you still needed help with this.

If so, can you replicate the problem by engine braking? where you downshift to a lower gear?

let me know please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not a noise when braking. Sounded like a metalic rattle but fast rattle. Happenned when accellerating and then dropping clutch to change up or when accelerating then slowing down. On stopping acceleration, rattle oiccurred.

Did not always happen and when i held the car in second gear down a very steep hill it didn;t occur so assume not gearbox.

Wordened at weekedn but yesterday it had dissapeared (may not be for long as its done this before)

Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.

I was referring to engine braking, which is what you did when you places it in second gear down a steep hill.

It's certainly peculiar that accelerating in gear and letting off the accelerator makes the noise, yet your saying engine braking down a hill did not produce the noise, yet the actions are similar drivetrain operations.

If the rattle is extremely fast like a grinding type rattle you may have an issue with the input shaft bearing on the gearbox. This would occasionally make noise on acceleration and deceleration, but not generally while cruising.