indy-tech
indy-tech, Import tech
Experience:  Import technician
29331485

himy nissan micro is about 5yrs started to jerk a lot when

hi my nissan micro is about 5yrs started to jerk a lot when in reverse and drive. any helpful advise?Also engine light is constantly on when i am driving,The car shudders when at standstill at a red light have to put the gear in neutral.it is an automatic has only done 10,000 miles

Category: Nissan
Expert:  indy-tech replied 3 years ago.
Here is what i suggest you do .

"CHECK ENGINE LIGHT"

When driving your car and suddenly you notice that the check engine light is "ON", then this means the management system (ECM) has encountered a malfunction within the emission system .

In some cases you will not notice any difference in the driving quality.
Or you may notice the engine power has dropped or its starting to misfire ...

If the light is flashing then this will be a misfire code and i would suggest you get this checked and repaired asap, as a misfiring engine will cause catalytic converter damage.

Now if you don't notice any difference in the driving quality, then you are okay to keep on driving until you have time to get to a shop.

Ones at the shop they will hook up a diagnostic scan tool(OBDII) to check for malfunction codes .

Once you have the codes then you will know what has malfunctioned and what has to be done to rectify this problem..

Check engine light "ON" means you could have any of 100's of problems..

For example the MAP sensor is 1 of many that will trip off the check engine light.

This is the only way you can get your car running again rather than just assume you have a problem and throw parts at it until you have the car running again , this can get very expensive , seen a lot of people do this in the hope they don't have to pay for any diagnostic check at the repair shop .

If you still need further assistance then please don't rate, just get back to me with the reply button, and I will get back to you or inform another expert to assist.
Also there is no extra charge after accepting .
Kindest regards Greg

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your reply.

If the engine light is constantly on and the car vibrates when in reverse gear or at a red light while in drive gear what could that be!