Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

Car overheating - seems the fan coming on especially in tr

Customer Question

Car overheating - seems the fan coming on especially in trafic
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.
Hi there, does the car overheat while driving? Or when idling at a stop? Or both?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No only idling in traffic. I t seems the fan does come on.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The fan comes on while idling in traffic.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the car overheats when idling in traffic, the temp get high the fan does not come on

Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.
Thank you, if the car overheats at idle and the fan is not coming on, then you need to check for power to the fan when the temp is past half mark. If you have power at the fan and it's not coming on then the fan motor has failed and needs replaced.

If you have no power at the fan then the coolant temp sensor needs to be checked to make sure it's working properly. The ECM activates the fans based of temp sensor readings and a/c operation.

Let me know if you need anything else.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Also I did not mention that the radiator the water the water leaks when it overheats. How do I check the coolant temp sensor is there a fuse I can check to know is fan motor is getting poer ?

Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.
Like I said, you need to check the fan motor for power when the engine is warm first. To do this you need a volt meter.

The only ways to test the temp sensor are either to use a scan tool or place the sensor in boiling water with a thermometer and test the resistances as the temperature changes.
Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.

Please make sure you leave me a positive rating.

thanks