Mike
Mike, UK Nissan Car Mechanic
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Hi,I bought a second hand Nissan Micra just over 4 weeks ago.

Hi,I bought a second hand Nissan Micra just over 4 weeks ago. It is a 2005, 1.2, 3 door hatchback. It has only done 60000 miles. It drove fine although I thought the clutch was a bit low so was going to get it looked at. After 10 days the engine malfunction light came on and stayed on. I took it to my garage and he said it was the sensor but after changing the plugs the light when out so we thought it was solved. He also had to replace the whole clutch system as he could not get it into gear. I got it home but after 2 days the light came back on and the car juttered even when not in gear it lacked power. Took it back to the garage and it did the same but smoke started to come from the bonnet. The ignition coil was burned out so that was replaced. I got it home ok but when trying to start it this morning it is smoking from the engine and it smells of burning and there is no kick to get it started. I have done less than 200 miles and have spent £550 since buying it and really am loathe to spend any more money on it!!! any ideas
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is***** happy to help / advise..

You are going to need to identify where this smoke is coming from in the first place.. thats the key here.. Its going to be that thats causing the issue - and so you need to be looking at the wiring I would say essentially - If the wiring somewhere has chaffed / rubbed or been trapped somewhere which can happen after such work done on the engine / clutch - Of course, check the battery - and the alternator - and starter motor - they can seize and smoke when they do ( not the battery - but if its boiled / been overcharged it can smoke )

If its only smoking / burning as you crank the engine - pay close attention to the starter - and the belts - alternator. You could have a seizing pulley / component there so that the engine is forcing the belt to turn when one of the pulleys isn't... and hence the burning / burning rubber of the belt..

So work through as above..let me know how you get on..

Im very pleased to have helped / advised you - If you need anything else at all - by all means get back to me - Im always happy to help more if needed..

**** *** >> Meantime >>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.

Mike, UK Nissan Car Mechanic
Experience: Tech Expert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The mechanic checked all the wiring and it all pointed to the ignition coil so that was replaced. I am sure it is a chain and not a belt. Not sure if it is going to be worth fixing if it is too expensive. I am going back to the garage on Monday. I will leave you a rating after this!!! I thought that I could not speak to you again if I left a rating first. Thanks

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Sharon -

Thank you for your reply.

re the belt issue - yes it is a chain driven engine - but Im referring to the belt that the alternator runs -- thats the area to check as above....

I know what you mean re costs - you will have to weigh it all up of course...

Thank you for the rating - and yes you can speak to me anytime at all if you need after doing the rating... just send me a reply and I will always get back to you as / if needed..

best rgds, MIKE.