Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

I recently bought a second hand 2003 Micra SVE with 2 keys

I recently bought a second hand 2003 Micra SVE with 2 keys but only one of them works. There are no identifying marks on the keys. They are the square type and the metal key folds into the side. I would like to buy a spare. What is the most inexpensive way of doing this? Please advise.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.
Hi there, are you wanting a spare key for just the doors and boot? Or are you wanting it to start the engine as well?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I would like a spare key to start the engine as well. I was not

Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.
In that case you only have 2 options.
Either buy a nissan RFID key online and have the key signal copied from the already working key that starts the ignition.
Or
Have the dealer program your keys for you, sounds like one of them needs to be re-registered since it won't start the engine.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If I choose the first option can my local Nissan dealer do the copying?

Joan

Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.
No, the dealership registers the keys to the vehicle an they so all the keys at the same time.
The first option requires you to find a store that offers the service. For instance, I live next to a hardware store that does the first option.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can you suggest a hardware chain that may be worth approaching to an RFID key? I live in London so the choice is vast.

Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.
Do you'll have a home depot? That's the hardware store close to me that does them.