Mike
Mike, UK Nissan Car Mechanic
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Hi I recently bought a 2007 accents Nissan Qashqai. The break

I recently bought a 2007 accents Nissan Qashqai. The break pads and probably the the discs need replacing. Would this cause the engine light to come on or is this something else?
Also when changing gear there is a strong jolt and knock. Could this be the Dif failing and the real cause of the engine light coming on?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise you -

No the brakes needing renewing as you outline would not bring the EML - engine management fault light on no..

Further - its not likely that the jolt / knock you have would cause this neither... but at this stage without inspection, its hard to know what the cause of that is... Typical causes would be engine or transmission mounts worn or loose.... but this will all have to be physically checked... This could be the diff or transmission yes - it could be honestly be several different things - it will have to be looked over to find that.

What you will need to have done re the EML is to have a plug in diagnostic test done. The Ecu / management computer on the car monitors all the engine management sensors / actuators etc etc while the engine is running....if / when it sees / detects a fault or something working outside specs - or not working, it will put the EML on to tell you....and it will log relevant fault codes inside its memory. The way forward then is to have the fault codes "read" - this is done with plug in diagnostic equipment... there is no other way. Most small type garages as well as Nissan dealers can do this fault code test for you .. Once the fault codes are retrieved, then the fault thats causing that EML to come on can be rectified as needed.

Im very pleased to have helped you -Let me know if you need anything more-

** ** >>Meantime -- - - >> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Mike
thanks for that I have also read that the sudden surge could be due to torque converter don't know if there is one of those in a 2WD car though.
Is it best to take it to a Nissan dealer or should
Any good mechanic identify and fix the issue?
My major concern is the surge. When engaging the gear. If I am extremely
Light in the accelerator I don't get that sudden jolt
Forward. Its difficult to describe. The jolt is so sudden there is a loud engaging noise and jolt forward.
More apparent when starting off or in lower gears.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello Piers -

Thank you for your message - Can I just qualify, is this an auto or manual transmission?

Rgds, MIKE..................................