Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

I have a Nissan 350 z 2006, Automatic.Recently I,ve noticed

Customer Question

I have a Nissan 350 z 2006, Automatic.
Recently I,ve noticed it slipping when in gear, but it does not happen when I switch off the Traction Control? Any thoughts?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.

Hi there, is it ACTUALLY slipping? or is it restricting throttle because the traction system thinks it's slipping? I assume it's the latter?

Manual or automatic transmission?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Jake

When I put accelerator to floor, she hardly moves and " slip" comes up on the dash.

It clears itself now and again, but this doesn,t happen when you switch off traction control

Its an automatic transmission.

Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.

Ok thanks for the clarification.

This is caused by a faulty wheel speed sensor pick up signal. This could be from a bad wheel sensor itself or simply caused by rust at the sensors which is fairly common on this model.

What happens is the sensor signal receives the wrong wheel speed and so the ABS unit determined the difference in wheel speeds as a slip condition and prevents throttle restriction. When the traction control is OFF, then you deactivate the traction controls throttle restriction so it ignores the perceived slip condition.

So remove the wheel speed sensors at the rear wheels and clean up the all the rust and see if the problem goes away. thanks.