Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

I have a 2004 x trail Auto. The selector lever button will

Customer Question

I have a 2004 x trail Auto. The selector lever button will not release the selector unless I push the shift lock release button. The handbook suggested that the battery might be low but have charged for 24 hours and the problem remains, other than that the car drives beautifully. Is there something that can be fixed?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
Hi there, you need to check and see if you brake lamps work.
The brake switch signal releases the shift lock so if it's bad it won't release.
Let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just turned engine on and the brake lights do come on when I push pedal

(being a woman had to ask a passer by to look for me) Is it harmful to the car to use the shift release button.

Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.

No it's NOT harmful at all. Just an inconvenience to you is all.

If the brake lamps work then the shift lock release solenoid in the shifter itself has failed. That's why you have to do it manually.

There is NO HARM in you manually releasing it until you can get it fixed.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

One last question, is this an expensive or a relatively simple repair, Just bought the car. Would any garage repair problem or is it only for a Nissan mechanic to do.

Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.

Any garage could perform the repair, but the problem is that ONLY Nisan has the part.

The biggest concern will be whether or not the solenoid comes separate from the shifter on this year. If it's separate the part and repair are fairly cheap if not you have to buy the whole shifter which is around $350.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you very very much you have been most helpful, I feel a lot better now.

You give a wonderful service.

Lesley

Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.

Your very welcome.

If you need anything else let me know. If not please leave me a kind rating.

thanks.

Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience: Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jake, Well new brake switch replaiced. Worked for one gear change then failed. Mechanic took out consul and spent a good while sorting out wires etc. Is working at the moment, but not feeling any faith, contacted Nissan in UK and they dont sell solenoid without the whole shifter - wait for it in the UK this part is $1350.00!!!!!! So I dont know if you would, but would you be able to send me one? Have located one in a breakers yard but it appears that this is a common fault with XTrails (still love the car) and this probably would fail also. Used to live in the US brought back an Isuzu Rodeo, still have it parked up. Would reward you royally, except this is a right hand drive so new gear lever would be the wrong way round. Looking forward to your reply to this one. Still think you are great

Lesley

Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.

Good grief! That price is insane!

The only X-trails we see in the U.S. are Canadian models which are Left-hand drive.

Have you considered looking on Ebay?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sure have, have located only the one I mentioned, and would you believe it there is a waiting list for the whole thing until the end of the year!! If I go down this route of waiting and the car fails again how long could I drive it pushing in the little red button? Unless my mechanic has sorted it out - would love to think so, but having doubts. Saw a post where someone in Australia wedged a piece of plastic to keep the red button down - heard nothing since of course would this be an option? Thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly - females and cars no a happy mix!

Lesley

Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.

The shift lock solenoid is there for safety reasons. It keeps you from accidently shifting out of park or drive.

Bypassing the solenoid using the manual release will not hurt anything, you could literally do it FOREVER without any consequences at all. It's just annoying.

If you really wanted you could pull the console apart and permanently retract the lock tab from the solenoid and move the shifter freely like you mentioned. It would hurt nothing. It's merely a safety issue.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Woo hoo, if I was thirty years younger I know I would love to have your babies! You have made an old girl very very happy indeed. You have been amazing and I will give you again a very very high rating. Not lucky with cars but really feeling a whole lot better - thank you so very much. Gonna miss ya!

Lesley

Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.

Your very welcome Lesley. If you ever need help in the future you can always ask for me.

Jake.