Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

window goes down but not up D40

Customer Question

window goes down but not up D40
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.

This is likely due to the window motor itself going out. It's not uncommon to lose the UP function and still be able to roll down when this happens.

The best way to verify is by using a volt meter and verifying power to the motor during UP and DOWN operation of the switch. if you have power in both directions then you KNOW the motor is at fault.

Let me know how else I can help please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi jake about 6 month ago all window would only go down from drivers controls had to put them up from each door today nearside front went down but not up tried swoping switchs no difference motor not going slow just stoped. disconnected battery and reconnect to see if it would recalibrate. would not have thought a motor go down that that quick. window only half way down press button down wiil go up does not do anything. have another think cheers TONY

Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.

Tony it certainly sounds like the motor on the front nearside window is bad.

Like I said though, you can test both the switch operation and the motor all at the same time if you have a voltmeter. All you need to do is check for powering coming into the switch which is almost certain. Then check power leaving the switch with the switch pressed.

Should be a REAL EASY diagnosis in minutes with a volt meter.

Let me know if you need further help TONY.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

will try that tomorrow but why can I put both back ones down from drivers but not up will only go up if use back door switches

Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.
Without testing it I can't say for sure as that is peculiar.

I will say though that when the motors fail they can be very intermittent or just fail at once.

If the master switch is at fault with test will show you.
Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.

did you still need help with this?

If not please remember to leave a kind rating.